Chapter Nine

The next morning you got up early to meet Anne. You changed into a green dress and went down stairs with your school books and lunch. You soon left and wait at yours and Anne’s spot.

Anne was never one to be late to school but today she was and she was going to make you late if you waite any longer for Anne. So you walked to school without Anne, she would understand why you left.

When you got to school you put your milk in the creek and rushed inside. You took off your coat and hung it up.

“Good morning Y/n! Do you know where Anne is?” Diana asked as she came out of the classroom.

“I don’t know, she didnt show up at our spot this morning” Diana furrowed her eyebrows.

“I”m sure she’ll be here soon.” you say

It was like Anne was waiting for her cue, she walked in. She was wearing her regular dress, but she had a hat on hiding her hair.

“Why do you have a hat on Anne?” you questioned, Anne had the same look Ruby has when she’s about to cry.

“Oh, it’s horrible!”

“What is?”

“My hair! This man the other day gave me hair dye and I thought it would turn my hair a gorgeous raven color! But instead it turned green and Marilla had to cut it off!” She cried.

“Surely it can’t be that awful,” Diana reassured her.

“I’m a monstrosity, Diana.” She said,”In fact, you must forget me now! I’d never ever want to bring humiliation upon you.” Anne said to both girls.

You rolled your eyes playfully and spoke. “We would never forget you.” Your words brought a tiny smile to Anne’s face.

“Best to take off your hat,” Diana told her as she glanced in the classroom.
Anne reached up for the hat and pulled it off her head, revealing her hair.

It was cut just like a boy would cut their hair, and apparently Marilla wasn’t very good with haircuts because it was all jagged and uneven. But to be honest, Anne looked good with it.

“I made a promise, never to forsake thee.” Anne looked to Diana who was take off her ribbon. She tied it to Anne’s hair and grinned at her. “And besides, it’s only hair, it’ll grow back.”

“She’s right, Anne. And I think you look amazing with short hair"

You told her and grabbed her hand, leading her into the classroom.