Chapter Fifty-Eight

There stood Gilbert Blythe.

“Hi,” you beamed at him.

He walked closer to you so he was at your side, then spoke again. “Is your Father home at the moment? I would like to speak with him.”

“Yes, he is home. I’ll talk you to see him.” You motioned for him to follow you and he did.

You two walked to your house in silence, both not knowing what to say. 

Soon, you reached your house and brought Gilbert to your Father, and then you left.

You went up to your room, deciding to start on your homework early so you have more free time later. 

Time flew by, and before you knew it you heard your name being called downstairs.

“Y/n, come say goodbye to Gilbert!” Your mother told her, making you want to scream.

You slowly made your way downstairs, dreading the awkward encounter that was about to happen.

Gilbert stood by the door talking to your Mother.

You plastered a smile on your face then walked over to the two.

“There you are, I thought you’d never come to say goodbye to your friend.”

“Here I am,” you said cheerfully.

Your mother grinned, then looked to Gilbert.

“I have to finish dinner, thank you for coming over, Gilbert.”

“No, thank you for letting me talk to your husband.” Your mother nodded and walked away, leaving Gilbert and you alone. 

You looked down at your hands, thinking of something to say.

“Well, I better go–” you cut him off.

“–I’ll walk you out.” You pushed the door open and waited for him.

He nodded nervously. “O-okay.” He walked out the door, with you following.

You stared at his back, pondering if you should apologize about running off the other night at the party.

You decided it would be best to apologize, so you caught up with Gilbert and spoke shyly