Chapter Fifty-Seven

A few days after the party you are back in school but something different is happening.

“Mother was talking to Mrs. Pye and she said the PMSC felt that Mrs. Stacy is probably unsuitable,” Ruby explained to Anne and Diana.

“But she rides a motorbike!” Anne yelled while walking up to the schoolhouse. 

After the wedding mishap, Mr. Phillips left town to work at a college. But you knew the real reason he left. He really left because he was embarrassed Prissy didn’t want to marry him.

You held the door open for Ruby, Diana, and Anne.

“Mrs. Stacy seems modern and thrilling.” Anne continued and walked inside.

“I heard she’s a spinster.” Tillie piped in.

“I heard she’s from the mainland–” Jane started to say but Josie cut her off.

“--Why would an unmarried woman from the city come here? There is a scandal somewhere, you’ll see.”

You rolled your eyes. “Could you quit being so pessimistic for once, Josie?” you asked while hanging up your coat.

Josie ignored you and sat down.

All of a sudden, the school doors burst open and there stood a tall woman with a slim figure. She was carrying a globe and a bag.

The globe dropped from her hands and rolled across the ground, right at Billy’s feet.

Mrs. Stacy chuckled. “I just laid the world at your feet, didn’t I?” Mrs. Stacy joked, causing you to smile.

Throughout the day you could see how much Mrs. Stacy would be good for this town but you still overheard how she shouldn’t be here. Hopefully, she doesn’t think that's true and tries to leave.

You heard her say that she has something planned for a lesson in the upcoming days and you're so excited along with other people.

“Goodbye, Anne!” you exclaimed and waved to her. Anne waved back, then turned around and took the path to her house.

You grinned to yourself and started walking again alone.

“Hey!” a voice called out to you from behind. You spun around and faced the person.