Chapter Thirty-Four

During lunch that day the girls were talking about Prissy’s relationship with our teacher. When you found out about the relationship between Mr. Phillips and Prissy you were a little weirded out by that thought considering you and her were the same age and that could have been you. Thankfully it wasn’t. Right now Diana is giving Prissy something for her wedding.

“Diana, you’re such a dear,” Prissy stated with a smile. “Thank you, now I will have everything I need for the perfect wedding.”

You fiddled with your hands as you listened to the girls speak about Prissy’s wedding. Rumors were going around a little bit ago about Prissy becoming engaged, though nothing was official until yesterday. Yesterday evening Mr. Phillips had proposed to Prissy and everyone was talking about it, hence the wedding conversation.

You honestly found it gross that Prissy was going to marry Mr.Phillips, he was much older than her and he was also quite ugly. But you would support her since she’s your best friend.

“Prissy, do you have a bridal veil?” Anne asked.

“I’m going to wear my Mother’s. It’s a tradition in our family.”
“You should keep the sixpence and hand it down to your daughters,” Anne suggested.

“What are we buying?” Josie questioned while taking the sixpence from Anne.

“Diana got a sixpence for Prissy, all the way from London,” Ruby explained with a wide grin.

“I wrote to my cousin when I heard rumors of an engagement,” Diana started while placing a hand on Prissy’s shoulder. “I’m just glad it came on time.”

“Something old, something new—” Tillie started.

“Something borrowed, something blue”

“And a silver sixpence in her shoe.” You finished.

All of the girls started to laugh but Josie stayed silent, with a cold look on her face. 

“Sounds painful.”

“Sounds like a magic spell for happiness,” Anne said causing the girls to chuckle.