Chapter Fifty-Six

All signs of happiness disappeared from your face which made Gilbert's flash in guilt. 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought the subject up.”

You shook your head and gave Gilbert a reassuring smile.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about, it’s not your fault and you had no idea about it.” 

“I’m very sorry that she passed,” Gilbert says while placing a hand on your arm.

You stared at his hand for a few seconds. Not because it bothered you but because you didn’t mind it.

Gilbert noticed the way you were looking at his hand and slowly retreated thinking that she didn’t like it.

“Sorry about that. I didn’t think you’d mind.”

You tore your gaze away from where his hand was and looked into Gilbert’s hazel eyes, with a small look of confusion on your face. 

“I don’t mind. You can touch me whenever you want to.”

The boy gave you a slight smirk after hearing what you had said. He fought the urge to smile and look amused.

But by the time you registered what you had said, you wanted the ground to open up and swallow you whole.

“That sounded inappropriate. Let me rephrase that. I didn’t mind the small APPROPRIATE gesture that you had displayed. If it would happen again, I wouldn’t mind. Was that clear? Did you understand me? Do I need to say it again?” You babbled.

Your babbling caused Gilbert to smile gently. “Y/n?”

You finally looked back up again and this time, no words came out of your mouth.

You hummed yes in response and tried to control your temperature rise.

“I understand what you’re trying to tell me, you can calm down.”

After hearing those words, you calmed down and smiled back at the bashful boy in front of you