Chapter Twenty One

After sending Gilbert home, you went and had dinner with your family. You tried to talk to Ruby again but she wouldn’t even turn your way. After cleaning up from dinner you went to your room and read until you fell asleep. 

It’s the next morning, as you're having breakfast you see Ruby leaving so you get up and put your hat, coat, and snow boots on and make your way to the school house. It started to snow outside as you were walking. 

When you got halfway you saw Gilbert waiting for you. Your heart flutters as you walk up to him.

“What are you doing here?” you ask smiling.

“I’m walking you to school,” He says 

“Alright then,” you say giggling. 

The walk was quiet, the only sound being the crunching snow underneath your feet.

When you approach the school you slowly step farther away from him. Gilbert stops walking and looks at you confused.

“Don’t look at me like that, I just don’t want Ruby to get more mad,” you say with a small smile.

“Sorry,” he says.

“It’s fine, now come on, we don’t want to be late.” you walk in and quickly take off your hat and coat. 

The only seat that’s still free is next to Ruby.

“Hey Ruby,” you say giving her a small smile.

She looks the other way and stays quiet. You decided to just let it go, even though you feel guilty.

You sit down and stare at Gilbert for almost the whole lesson.

At lunch, you walk over to Prissy sitting in a corner.

“I’m exhausted,” you say sitting down next to her.

“Why’s that?” Prissy asks.

“I had dance practice for four hours yesterday.” you sigh.

“I thought you liked dancing?” she asks.

“I do, but I was a little stressed with a performance coming up.”

“I saw you walking in with Gilbert this morning,” Prissy says smirking.

“What’s going on between you two?” Prissy asks giggling.

“I-nothing really,” you look at the floor trying to hide that you blush but you fail.

“You’re blushing!” She yells.

“Shhhh,” you say and look around. “I promise you that it’s nothing.”