Chapter Sixty

The next day you are sitting in your seat with your head down trying to take a nap.

“Mrs. Stacy? Is everything alright?”

You lifted your head from the table at the sound of Gilbert's voice. You became confused when you saw Mrs. Stacy slowly walk into the classroom with an unreadable expression.

“Mhm,” She replied and opened the door to the large closet across from where you and your friends were sitting. Then she walked in and shut the door behind her.

You locked eyes with Gilbert, and you both shared a confused look.

Before you could even do anything, the school doors opened and Cole came running in. He went straight for Billy and pushed him to the floor roughly.

“Stop it!” Diana yelled as the boys started to fight.

Cole lifted Billy from the floor and punched him, then he shoved him for the second time.

You quivered in fear, you had no clue what to do, and it didn’t help that you don’t like fighting. You tried to step forward and try to stop them when Gilbert grabbed your arm, pulling you back into his chest. You looked up at him, and he just shook his head.

Billy tried to get on top of Cole but he just grabbed his shirt and pushed him off. However, when he pushed him away he also pushed Billy towards the heater, next thing you know a painful scream.

Billy had hit the side of his head on the heater, and a sizzling sound followed. Cole crawled away from Billy, shocked at what he had done.

Your eyes widened at the sight of Billy clutching his ear and screaming. You held your breath as Josie rushed to his side.

The screams continued, causing you to shake even more. Gilbert held you tighter against his chest to calm you down. 

Mrs. Stacy quickly came out after she heard the screams and ran over to Billy. She soon dismissed everyone from school. You were glad you had been dismissed because you were too shaken up to continue with school. 

“Can I walk you home?” a voice asked.

You lifted your head from your shoes to meet the eyes of Gilbert Blythe.

You nodded your head and followed him.

“Are you okay?” He asked when you were almost halfway there.

“I’m fine, just shocked.” You replied truthfully, and Gilbert nodded.

You guys continued to walk in comfortable silence.