Chapter Fifty-Four

You sighed, you hadn’t told anyone in your family about the book that you “lost.”

“It’s nothing.” You stated but Ruby was not having any of it.

“Oh come on, tell me!!” Ruby hopped on the balls of her feet and people started to stare at her.

You grabbed her hand for her to calm down, “Okay, stop that. He just ripped my copy of Jane Eyre.”

Ruby gasped dramatically, “You what?! How dare you destroy the book that I bought for Y/n.”

“Ruby! Calm down!” you ordered in a very scolding tone. 

Ruby reluctantly calmed down and once again leaned against the wall.

“There is no need to buy another one, my Mother has her copy. I’ll just use that one. So, truce?”

You took your hand out for Billy to shake and shot him a weak smile. Billy looked at your hand and then at you. It took some time for him to respond to the gesture but then he finally did. You two shook hands with each other.

Ruby watched you two and when you retreated your hands, she gave a bitter smile to Billy.

“Great, you’re done. Now go, I have to talk to my sister.” 

Ruby quickly turned her attention to you once again.

“Yeah, I don’t like him as much. He’s a book murderer.” You laughed lightly with Ruby and the two kept talking and joking with one another.

The two siblings were quickly joined by their Mother. “Why are you here with us? Don’t you have friends of your own?” Ruby asked your Mother.

Your mother gasped dramatically.

So, people say that you are dramatic, but that’s not true, you are not as dramatic as your Mother. 

You laughed at the face your mother did. “Oh Ruby darling, some girl came up to me asking where you were she’s over there wanting to talk.” your Mother says after calming down and pointing in the direction Jane Andrews was. 

When Ruby walked away it was just you and your Mother talking about the people and how they liked the taste of the desserts.

“I’m sorry to interrupt.” You and your Mother turned around to look at the upcoming guest.