Chapter Thirty One

He pulled something out of his pocket and handed it to you. It was a small brown box with a piece of ribbon keeping it shut.

She wanted to open it, but she couldn’t. So, she shoved it back into his hands and bit your lip.

“No, I can’t take this.”

Gilbert looked confused, “Why?” He asked.

“Because I don’t want it,” You answered flatly.

“Why?”

“I don’t know why, Gilbert!” you yelled a little too loud.

“Why are you so mad at me?” He questioned while putting his hand on your arm to try to calm you down. 

“Because I just got my sister back and it was because of you that I lost her!”

He looked taken aback like your words hurt him. His cheeks turned red, and he dropped his hand, looking down. He was embarrassed.

He had feelings for you, and he thought you returned them, but it didn’t seem like you did after that.

The whole reason he came back to Avonlea was to see her again, and now he didn’t know what to do or think.

“I’m sorry that you feel that way, but please take the present.” He held out the box for her to grab, and she did. Then, he walked into the dining room.

You felt your heart stop. You regretted what you said right when it came out. Why did you havee to have such a bad temper? 

You shoved the box in the pocket of your dress and then ran your hands through your hair. Why did you have to ruin everything.

Why were you even mad at him in the first place. Because Ruby had a crush on him? The reason felt stupid when saying it.

You groaned and finished blowing out the candles, then made your way to the table.