Chapter Seventy-One

“Is it so bad? They’re practically engaged.”

“Were.” Jane corrected

“Still, Billy had no right!” you nodded in agreement with Anne.

“None of us saw what happened,” Jane explained. “Besides, Josie always’s been ill-bred.”

“A kiss is fine when there’s consent,” Diana added though she was a bit unsure of her words. “Isn’t it?”

“Josie’s reputation is ruined.” you clenched your fist in anger at Jane’s words. This wasn’t Josie’s fault, so why did she have to be the one to take the fall?”

“Why isn’t Billy’s? He was heedless and disrespectful! Josie has every right to be upset!” Anne yelled.

“So, I suppose we should get to work.” Gilbert piped in, causing you to glare at him.

Later on you sat in the grass by Anne and Diana. Apparently last night Anne snuck into school and made a newspaper then printed it for the entire town to see that day at church. The newspaper was all about how women deserved equality, and other things relating to that, though, you didn’t get to read it because you slept in accidentally.

“How bad was it at church?” Anne questioned as she picked at her fingernails.

“It was one-hundred percent bad. Mathematically speaking.” Diana replied.

“How did it all get so mixed up? I was writing about justice and equality! What could be more virtuous than that? I wasn’t even thinking about Josie.”

“That was much clear.”

“Diana!” you said sternly, you didn’t understand why she was being so rude.

“I’m sorry, Anne, but should’ve seen the look on Josie’s face when she ran out.”

“Help me. I need to fix this. What should I do?”

“Apologize to Josie.” you told her

“Excuse me, there’s a meeting in session.”

The class ignored Mrs. Lynde and kept walking until you reached the stage, where you climbed up the stairs and went behind the curtain.

“Good morning. What you are about to witness is an organized action.” Anne said from the other side of the curtain.

“This is an outrage, that’s what this is!” One of the board members yelled.

“We are not here to provoke, we are here to be heard. Even though you tried to silence our voices, well, we have a message for you.”

You quickly tied the white rag over your mout, grabbed your wooden plank, then stood with your classmates.

After all that was done you walked outside and sat on the porch. The room was getting much too crowded and chaotic for you, so you decided you needed a breath of fresh air.

You stared at the twinkling stars, admiring the beauty within them.

“We sure pulled that off.” Someone said as they walked up behind you. You glanced up and saw Gilbert.

“We did.”

Gilbert smiled at you, “Can I sit?” you nodded, then he sat down next to you and you both stared at each other.

The only light illuminating your faces was the candle’s in the windows.

You could’ve sworn his eyes flickered to your lips for a moment, causing your breath to hitch in thirst and your heart rate to quicken, but you pushed away the thought and looked at your hands.

“You know, Winnifred is a very lucky girl.” You felt an aching pain in you heart as you spoke.

Gilbert was about to say something, however, you beat him to it.

“Thabk you for today and everything.” you said, your cheeks turning pink as you stood. “I should get back.”

With that, you walked back inside and found your friends.