Chapter Sixty-Three

Today was Anne’s birthday, so everyone pitched in and helped throw Anne a surprise birthday party at Diana’s house. Now, you guys were waiting for Anne and Diana to walk through the door.

“There they are!”

You girls backed away from the window and surrounded the table covered in Anne’s favorite treats.

The door flew open and Anne and Diana walked in. “Surprise!” The girls shouted in unison.

Anne’s eyes widened, she was shocked and that made you grin.

“I hope you were worried sick about me.” Minnie May said with a sly smirk.

Diana planned to run to Anne’s house and pretend Minnie May was sick again–and it worked.

Anne chuckled softly at the youngest Barry.

You moved away from the table and toward Anne to grab her hand and bring her to the table.

“Happy Birthday!”

Anne gaped down at the different doods and then looked up at you. “You did all of this?”

You shook your head. “Not just me, we all helped.”

“Is it very serious?” you asked Gilbert as you put your things on a table.

“Well, the doctor could answer that better than me, but hopefully not.”

You clenched your teeth as you took off your coat.

“I think it’s horrible that the only doctor that will see her is in Charlottetown.”

“I agree. Illness doesn’t discriminate.” Gilbert said as he approached you.

“Thankfully, neither does Dr. Ward. He’s a good man.” you nodded in agreement.

“Off you go, Gilbert, before you miss your train.” You reminded him.

Gilbert took a glance at you before he left, you smiled softly at him and he did the same, and then he left. 

You placed a broth and bread on atrayy and brought it to Mary’s room. You pushed the door open with your foot and slipped inside.

Mary smiled when she saw you. “I thought you left when Bash started cooking?”

“I did, but I felt the need to fix the broth Bash made–he tends to make bland and boring-tasting food,” you admitted.

Mary chuckled. “Cooking behind my husband?” She asked as she picked up the spoon and dipped it in the broth.

“Aren’t you all kinds of almost 16-year-old trouble?” You giggled, you were surprised Mary remembered you were turning 16 in a few weeks.

Mary brought the spoon to her mouth, and then tasted the broth; she moaned in delight when the broth slipped down her throat.

“Wor, Y/n, you’re quite the chef.”

You blushed. “Thank you, but I’m not that good–”

“--Oh, trust me, you are,” Mary said with a grin.