Chapter Sixty-Five

Gilbert stopped walking when you reached his house. He didn’t move, not wanting to go inside because he knew if he did, he’d have to face the cold reality of his life.

You noticed his stillness and glanced at him, and in just enough time to see a tear slip down his face. You frowned and immediately wrapped your arms around his neck, pulling him close.

He hugged back tightly, the warmth of your body against his comforted him. 

A few minutes passed and you finally pulled away. You lifted your hand to his face and wiped away the tears on his cheeks, then you dropped your hand at your side. 

“You can do this,” you said quietly to Gilbert, he nodded slowly. You gently reached up and placed a soft kiss on his cheek then grabbed Gilbert's hand, squeezing it for reassurance, and led him inside.

The next day came along quickly and you found yourself setting up Easter decorations for Mary. 

The whole morning you felt sick, you couldn’t bear the thought of Bash, Gilbert, and Delly losing Mary.

Today was supposed to be a happy day, a day where Mary was celebrated for the last time, so you masked your sorrow with a smile; mostly because you didn’t want anyone to see you upset, that would ruin everything, especially for Mary. You needed to be strong for her.

You finished hanging up some streamers and turned around, noticing a group of people surrounding someone. You assumed it was Mary, so you ran over to the group and joined them.

You saw Mary in Bash’s arms, she was too weak to walk so Bash had to carry her. 

“Happy Easter, Mary!” Everyone shouted in unison, Mary smiled widely, a mixture of happy and sad tears falling from her eyes. 

“Thank you.” She said gratefully.

Bash grinned and sat Mary down on a chair, so she could rest and still see and talk to everyone