Chapter Thirty-Six

The next day, you and Ruby arrived early at the schoolhouse. It’s wonderful how early one can arrive when they don't have things to worry about.

Thankfully, you were prepared for some free time, so along with your books you packed your copy of ‘Jane Eyre.’

You sat in the classroom where you and Prissy were seated and began reading. While Ruby talked to her friends outside.

You spent a good five minutes reading the passionate words that were written down on the pages when the book was torn away from your hands.

Your eyes open wide and you turn around to see who has taken the book. You turned angry when you saw who it was.

Billy Andrews

Ever since the day she yelled at him he has left you alone until now.

“Jane Eyre, interesting,” Billy smirked down at you who stood up to grab it. “I never saw you as the romantic type. Well, I guess you should never judge a book by its cover then.”

You raised onto your toes and tried to reach for the book but Billy raised his hand higher to stop you from getting it. 

“Billy, stop it,” Prissy told her brother but Billy didn’t seem to care. “So tell me Gillis, who do you picture as your Rochester? Hopefully me.”

You rolled your eyes at him annoyed. “Of course, who else could it be? You’d be the perfect Rochester.” 

Billy smirked and was going to hand you your book back, “You are well aware that he ends up blind and disfigured in the end, don’t you?”

Billy’s smirk dropped, he took your book back tightly in his grip and held it up with both hands one on either side of the spine.

You quickly caught on to what he was going to do. “NO, NO! GIVE IT BACK!” Billy simply ripped the book in half and threw it on the ground.