Chapter Sixty-Four

It was the next day when you heard the terrible news that Mary had sepsis, and she wasn’t going to get better.

You felt sick to your stomach as you had Delly sit in her mother’s lap, you brought Delly to Mary so she could see her one last time.

Once Delly was settled in Anne’s arms, you turned away and walked to the back of the wagon where Gilbert was standing.

You sat on the back of the wagon and moved Delly’s basket so Gilbert could sit next to you. 

“I think I’ll walk.” He said quietly.

You nodded in understatement, “Could I join you?” you questioned, you didn’t want him to be alone right now.

“Yeah”

You hopped off the wagon and joined him in walking. The wagon started to move as you two began to walk.

“I don’t think I can be a doctor,” Gilbert said suddenly.

“Doctors are supposed to–I was–I had to tell her, but I–”

“Gilbert–” you started to say.

He lifted his hand as if to silence you. 

“--No, don’t. I’m not the one dying. I’m the one who’s losing everything. I’m just–”

“--A friend who’s delivered some terrible news to a loved one.” you finished for him.

“Mary needed me to be strong. I just made it worse. I couldn’t find the words and I made it worse.”

You grabbed Gilbert’s arm, forcing him to stop walking. “You did not make it worse.” you looked into his eyes, your hand still on his arm.

“I hope you never have to do something like that again, but I don’t think you’ll be able to avoid it. People will come to you, Gilbert, they will bring their children, and everyone they love, to see a doctor who cares just as much as they do. You will be a wonderful doctor, and caring will always be the right thing.” 

With that you dropped your hand to your side and started walking again, not seeing the red mess you made on Gilbert’s face