Chapter Sixty-Six

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoeth my soul. He ledeth me in the path of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.” The minister spoke.

After a while, you stopped paying attention. You were too anxious to focus on his words. You stared at Mary’s grave sadness consuming you. Mary was such a bright soul, and she was so young, she was taken far too soon.

Tears spilled from her eyes as the minster finished, you gripped the bouquet in your hands even tighter, causing your knuckles to turn white as snow.

Soon you realized it was time for you to put flowers on Mary’s grave, so you slowly stepped forward, your body trembling, and laid them on the fresh dirt.

You squeezed your eyes shut, over the time you knew Mary, you learned that she was an amazing and sweet person. She didn’t deserve her fate. Not one bit.

A hand touching your shoulder, made you jump slightly. You opened your eyes and glanced behind you, Gilbert Blythe stood behind you.

His eyes were glassy just like yours but they also shared the same painful look.

He slipped his hand into yours, then pulled you back into the crowd away from Mary’s grave.

When you stopped, you let out a shaky breath and laid your head on his shoulder as you began to cry once more.

How could life be so unfair to the people who did nothing? You wished you could change her fate and let her live so she could see her daughter grow up.