Chapter Sixty-Eight

It’s a little later, and you guys are back in the schoolhouse. After everything calmed down, Billy and Gilbert took Moody home and ensured he would be cared for properly. Ruby was getting the attention of the girls due to her fainting in the forest.

“Anne, you’re on the board! Charlie noticed you!” Diana said, causing you to look over at them.

You got up and made your way over to Anne and Diana. When you got there you raised your eyebrows at your friends. “Charlie, huh?” You asked as Anne grabbed your and Diana’s wrists and dragged you away.

“Good morning, Anne,” Charlie said politely.

“Busy! Sorry!”

Before Anne could get completely away, Josie and her posse stopped in front of you three.

“So, Anne, are you gonna dance with Charlie tomorrow?”

“Am I what?”

“Mrs. Stacy scheduled practice for the county fair barn dance for all of us!” Ruby added

Tillie came up behind them. “Boys and Girls.”

Ruby grinned. “That means–touching.” You rolled your eyes at your sister.

Josie ignored her and stuck her head up in pride. “I’m going to hate practicing with these silly boys. I’ll only be dancing with my intended at the fair.”

“I hope you enjoy, Billy has two left feet and they both smell.” Jane piped in causing you girls to laugh.

You and the rest of the girls sat together for the rest of the day talking about the upcoming dance and dance practice, who they would dance with, and who they would bring from neighboring cities. 

All in all, you were thinking about if a certain brunette would be at the dance and if he would be willing to dance with you.

While sitting there and smiling with your friends you failed to notice someone intensely staring at you, wondering if they should take you to the dance with them.