chapter 29

-Hayley's POV-

"Shit! No stop that!" I yelled at the TV screen. The weather had turned from warm and sunny to dreary rain, forcing Niall and I to find something to do inside. Mario kart seemed like a good choice.

I thought I was a sore loser, but Niall had to be twenty times worse.

"You can't beat me! This is a videogame, you're suppose to suck!" Niall laughed as he tickled my side causing me to turn left instead of right for the fifth time.

"Maybe if you'd stop tickling and focus on the game you'd win." I teased.

"Oh let's be serious, I don't think that's going to happen." he said just as my kart crossed the finish line. He tossed the controller and sprawled onto his back. "My life is over." he whined dramatically. "I have nothing else to live for. My dreams of never losing to a girl have been crushed."

I leaned on his chest. "Poor little millionaire." I teased. "I guess you'll have to stick with being in the world's biggest boy band."

He pouted his lower lip and made his eyes big and sad. "I know, the horror!"

I shoved his shoulder, "stop." I said looking away.

"Stop what..?" Niall pleaded sitting up.

"You know what. stop it." I said again multiple times, each time Niall's eyes got bigger and sadder. Puppy dog eyes were my weakness, no matter who it was from.

"Niall! Stop!" I laughed as I layed on my back. Niall loomed over me.

"Fine. I'm done now, princess." he joked.

I placed one hand behind his head. "Screw you." I teased before kissing him passionately.

-Niall's POV-

The day slipped past and before long the sun was starting to set. I drove down a few dirt rodes in Hayley's old car. She insisted that we take it in case any misshapen.

Hayley told me again how we didn't have to go to this party. I understood why she was nervous. Rumors had already started back at the first signing, and nothing had been confirmed or denyed. The fact that this whole party i was attending was a bunch of minors drinking didn't exactly give me the best image. but I didn't care.

I looked over at Hayley in the passenger seat. Her knee bounced up and down as she stared out the window, watching the passing scenery. I took her hand and intertwined my fingers with hers.

"Everything is going to be fine. I promise" I said glancing at her before returning my attention to the road. "I won't drink if that helps."

"Don't say that. You know you'll want to and people are going to be offering it and wanting to know how well you handle liquor and ..." she trailed off before sighing. "This is just a bad idea." she said quietly.

"He's going to be there isn't he?" I asked while maintaining my focus on tbe road. I saw her face me out of my peripheral vision. I turned to face her again. "Is that why you're freaking out?" I asked seriously.

She tried to let go of my hand but I tightened my grip.

"Hayley." I said sternly. "I am not accusing you of anything. I just want to know."

Her eyes began to brim with tears that she immediately blinked back. I didn't see what the big deal was. I knew she had past boyfriends that lived here. I understood.

"I just..." she said in a hoarse voice, "yeah Kyle is gonna be there."

I didn't say anything as pulled to the side of the dirt road. I parked the car and turned to Hayley. I kissed her lips lightly.

"if you don't want to do this, we can go somewhere else." I said cupping her cheek.

"I just..." she said looking down. "I just don't want you to get upset with Kyle.. or have something happen and get bad publicity."

I shook my head, "Princess," I took her hands in mine. "look at me. I don't want you to miss out on things because of me. It's your senior summer. If you want to go party with your friends, that's fine. As long as you're not driving."

I felt her squeeze my hand. Her eyes brimming with tears, making me want to hold her tightly in my arms and never let go. "Thank you, babe." She placed her hand in my hair and pulled me closer. I felt her warm lips pressed to mine, moving in sync. I pulled back slowly to see her brightening smile. She was so beautiful.

"ok." she said buckling her seat belt. "if you're sure you wanna go."

"We're going." I smiled pulling back onto the road and continuing down the dirt roads.