Chapter 81

-Hayley's POV-

The coffee shop was deserted and I was desperate for some coffee. This early February weather was really starting to kill me. It was Tuesday. In two days I'd be on a plane, again, flying back to Ireland. For a college student, I traveled way more than I ever should have.

I shook my head and tried to warm my hands once I entered the coffee shop. I waited patiently for someone to come take my usual order. I was running early today for some strange reason, so I had time on my hands.

"One moment please!" a male voice shouted from the back room.

oh god. no. please god no. I prayed silently. Chris was working, wasn't he? of all people to run into, I had Chris. I knew I couldn't hide forever. Eventually I'd have to face him and apologize for Niall's behavior.

My mind flashed back to that night. The anger in Niall's eyes right before ripping the door open, almost disconnecting it from the hinges. I thought about how Niall had Chris gripped by the collar and forced him against the wall. I had never seen him so physically mad. The only other times was when Ryan slapped me and... and Kyle. I shuddered at the memory. He was not happy. not happy at all.

I watched Chris' face drop when his eyes met mine for one moment before he looked away. He cracked his knuckles, a nervous habit that I had noticed.

"Hey.." I offered a small sympathetic smile. I knew he was a little paranoid after that dreadful night.

"Hi, uhm, what can I get you?" He asked out of habit. I laughed a little when he smacked his forehead and turned to make my usual winter cappuccino.

I studied his face to the best of my abilities from the awkward angle. I needed to just grow some she-balls and apologize instead of dragging out this God forsaken silence. I opened my mouth but no words came.

Damn it Hayley, fucking do it.

"So.. uhm, how you been?" It had been a long time since I had talked to him. I never texted him like I promised and I was avoiding any personal contact. I left all calls to go to voicemail, snap chats were never opened, and his texts "never came through".

He glanced over his shoulder at me. His stare sent chills down my spine. I couldn't read it though. Was he angry, sad, upset, anything at all? He wiped his hands off with a green towel and popped a lid onto my cup. I looked down at the black lid and tapped it lightly with his index finger.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked not looking up.

"Of course you can."

He slid the cup aross to me and added it my tab. He kneaded the green towel between his two hands. His hand veins rising and falling. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped himself and sighed. Whatever this was must have been a big deal. Chris was never one to be hesitant.

"Does.. does he, you know.." He muttered.

I crinkled my brow in confusion. "No I don't.."

"Does he.." He turned his head to the side looking around to make sure no one was around. " does he beat you?" He asked barely above a whisper.

I stood dumbfounded. My mouth agape. I couldn't speak. Hell, I could breath. "Excuse me?"

He shrugged. "Hey, if he does I won't say anything. But I think you should not give into him. It will only continue. You deserve better than that, Hayley. You deserve so much more." He said softly. I stared down at my hand which he had just covered with his own. My mind was like the outside of a tornado. Insane, wild, chaotic.

I snatched my hand away moving it to my hair. "No he doesn't beat me!" I said barely able to get the horrifying words out of my mouth.

"Hayley, I can help. He isn't here, I can help you." He coaxed leaning over the counter separating us.