Chapter 55

-Hayley's POV-

I was drowning in a pile of books. Papers and notes flooded my vision. College was, well, difficult. I really enjoyed all my classes and I made new friends but no matter what, every night I stayed up all night thinking of Niall. Alcohol didn't dry the tears, other people didn't numb my feelings, the only thing that cleared my mind was school work.

McKenna insisted that I get out every weekend but I didn't feel like partying. Those days had disappeared. I usually spent my Friday and Saturday nights doing school work or talking to Niall.

I needed to get a job. There was a small restaurant hiring down the street. That was probably my best bet.

"Hayley, you need to get out." McKenna exasperated as she closed the open book in front of my face. "It's been over a month since the last time you went out."

"Last time I went out a guy tried to make a move on me."

"Oh, c'mon, that's like a compliment!" McKenna smiled as she threw her hands in the air, trying to make it seem like less of a big deal.

I glared at her. "Kenna. I am not emotionally stable to go out. I will drink. I will be vulnerable. Guys will take advantage of it and things will not end well."

McKenna's face twisted into a frown. "Don't drink."

I laughed. Yeah, because it's that simple.

"I'm serious. If you don't drink, I won't drink and both of us will keep the guys off each other." She shrugged. "We can come back earlier if you want. Then tomorrow night we'll stay in and have Chinese or something."

I ran through the compromise in my head time after time. McKenna doesn't usually compromise, so this was not something I wanted to just blow off. I checked my phone and found no messages.

I sighed. "Okay. I'll go put some pants on."

McKenna laughed and pulled me into a tight hug. "I love you!" She laughed again.

"Yeah, you should. Now go pick me something to wear." I instructed.

...

It's a good thing we didn't go to big fancy parties where I had to wear heels. Converses were so much more comfortable. I walked beside McKenna as she lead the way to a big frat house.

I yanked McKenna's arm. "Why the hell are we going to a freaking frat. I hate frats. I frat boys. I hate boys. I hate people. Why am I here?" I rambled.

McKenna rolled her eyes. "You need to calm down. I will be beside you the whole time."

I took my lip between my teeth. This is going to be a complete disaster.

People were everywhere and I hated it. I grabbed a cup and filled it with water and leaned against the wall with McKenna. We scouted out guys and gossiped about all the desperate sluts. It was pretty sad actually.

"Niall's cool with this right?" McKenna yelled so she could be audible over the music.

Shit. No. I hadn't told him that because I knew he would hate the idea of me being around a bunch of guys. I knew he trusted me but he liked to monitor everything.

I shook my head and I could feel Mckenna eyeing me.

"Why?" She asked.

I shrugged.

"Text him. Tell him. Now." She instructed. I did what she said. I knew it was the right thing to do.

I pulled my phone out when a tall frat boy with short dark curly hair and piercing blue eyes came up to us, shortly followed by a slightly shorter guy with blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes. Both had big strong biceps and broad chests.

"Hey." The taller one smiled.

Both McKenna and I smiled awkwardly, totally in awe. "Hi."

"I'm Chris and this is Matt." The taller one said motioning to the blonde next to him.

McKenna instantly pounced on Matt. He was a sweetie and super funny. She always had a thing for the funny guys. I talked to Chris for most of the night. He talked about life in a fraternity and how college had been for him. He was really easy to talk to and there was no arguing the fact that he was attractive.

"So how come I haven't seen you at the past parties?" Chris asked taking another beer from the fridge.

I stuck with my water. "I haven't partied much since school started." I shrugged.

"oh. You party in high school?" he asked and I nodded dramatically. Chris laughed.

"Well maybe you can come around again." he smiled. "or we could hang out sometime."

I nodded. Chris was nice and I really liked talking to him.

Just then my phone started ringing. I pulled the device out of my pocket and looked at who was calling.

"Shit!" I said loudly with wide eyes. I took off, sprinting out the door. I could hear Chris yelling after me.

"Hey Niall." I said lightly. I paced up and down the sidewalk, praying no one screamed.

"Hey." he said. His voice was neutral. "Why didn't you answer?"

"What?"

"I called like five times." he said sternly.

"oh shit. Sorry I didn't hear it." Technically it wasn't a lie.

"Hayley! Are you okay?" Chris said from behind me.

I mentally threw myself in front of the car driving by. I turned to see Chris looking at me with concern.

"Hayley? Who was that?" Niall asked. I could hear the edge of anger and annoyance in his voice.

I covered the speaker. "Chris I'm fine. I'll be back in a bit. please." I pleaded.

He nodded and walked back inside.

"Hayley, I'm serious. Where are you?"

I rubbed my forehead to get rid of the headache that had formed over the last few minutes.

"I'm uh," I sighed. "I'm at a party."

"oh."

"With McKenna." I added.

he stayed silent for a while. "Who was in the background?"

If I hit my head hard enough on the ground could I die?

"Chris. He's this guy I met." I said quietly.

"I see." Niall said, obviously pissed.

"Sorry. I meant to tell you and I forgot."

I heard him let out a sigh. "Alright. Well I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd call you but I guess you're doing fine."

"I didn't want to but..." I stopped myself. "No actually it's my fault I understand if you are pissed at me. I'm sorry though. and absolutely nothing has happened." I confessed. I knew it was going to be easier to just accept the guilt than try to avoid taking any responsibility.

"Well, maybe I should just talk to you tomorrow." Niall mumbled.

"Okay."

"I still love you."

I smiled and relief washed over me. "I love you too."

I hung up and sighed. I needed to go home now. I marched back into the house to find McKenna. I needed to get home; staying any longer would just be asking for trouble.