Chapter 79

-Hayley's POV-

After spending two more nights beside Niall, the doctors cleared him to return back to everyday life. Everything was as it should. His blood levels were right and most of his energy was regained. He still had several deep cuts that would have to be taken care of but for the most part his body was ready to go.

I held Niall by the waist to help support him as he walked. He didn't really need me, but I think it was comforting to know there was protection there. We both waved goodbye to a few nurses we passed by. The sun was shining brightly against the piles of snow on the side of the streets. It was warmer than it had been, giving the ice a chance to thaw. The bitter wind nipped at my cheeks and nose as the two of us continued to walk carefully towards my car. I had to take Niall back to the airport. He had been gone enough and had a lot of things to do before the tour started in two weeks. Plus, management was beyond pissed.

Niall held back a laugh as my One Direction CD started playing. I changed it to the radio immediately, trying not to blush too much.

"Still a fan girl i see." He teases me.

I can feel my cheeks burning more. "It's not something I can just get rid of.." I admitted.

He shrugged. "It's ok," I could feel his blue eyes focusing in me. "I always liked that about you."

I bit back a smile. I tried to process what had just happened in the last few days. A lot. I still felt like I needed to talk to Niall about what had happened. I needed to explain. I had to. I would still go to Dublin and surprise him like Louis had told me, but I wouldn't tell him. I couldn't. What fun would that be? Technically I'm not lying when I say that something came up. Because it's true. The plans did.

"Niall.."

"Yeah babe?"

I bit the inside of my cheek hard. "Uhm.. about the whole Chris thing.." I could see him stiffen out of the corner of my eye. "He's only a friend. McKenna is talking to his best friend and so we see each other a lot but he is nothing to me. Just a friend, you know?"

He stayed quiet, absorbing my words.

"And I really want to stick to our plans for Dublin but honestly, things came up. I do have projects due that week and I can't follow through with our plans. But it has nothing to do with Chris or any other guy here. I promise."

I glanced over at him. He rubbed his right temple and closed his eyes, taking it all the information. "I believe you. I just... it kills me thinking you could be finding happiness with someone else. And that's how it felt." He didn't look at me, his eyes were cast out the window, watching the world whirl past us.

"I'm sorry." I said honestly. "When you're pissed I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

He shrugged. "I don't really know what I want you to do either."

A silence fell over us, only being broken by the music playing through the radio. "So what do we do now..?" I asked.

I felt Niall rest his hand on my thigh. "We learn from it and move past it. Make sure we handle it better next time."

"How do we know there will be a next time?" I teased him.

Niall smiled cheekily. "Have you seen yourself? I feel like I'm going to constantly throwing guys off of you."

"Oh stop." I punched his arm trying to hide the new shade of red my cheeks had taken.

...

I watched Niall's airplane take off into the air, getting further and further away from the ground. It had taken us a good half hour to goodbye but I feel as if everything was starting to return to the way it was before. I couldn't get the image of him lying in the hospital bed. The pain that covered his face made every part of me ache. The cuts on his arms and legs were constant reminders of my stupidity. I couldn't look at him without feeling this pang of guilt invade my heart and mind.

I walked back to my car alone. I twisted through all the bodies. I just wanted to get to the safety of my car before crying. I don't think I could cry anyway. I was just too exhausted. I had cried mostly every night for the past few days. Maybe I'd treat myself to coffee or pizza or just solitude. I don't know. I had so much to do. I really did need to finish some of my projects. I also felt the need to talk to Chris and apologize for the incident, but I didn't want to start anything with Niall just yet. Maybe in a few more days.

Whatever, I just wanted to go back to the dorms and take a nap. Yeah, a nap sounded fantastic.

((Sorry for the uneventful chapter. It's kinda short too... oops. Well yeah, and sorry for the late update. I've been busy and limited and yeah... Okay anyway hopefully the next few chapters will be more eventful and longer and make you go all"Awwwwwhhh Nayley" or something like that;) ily xxx))