chapter 47

-Hayley's POV-

Our week in Ireland was coming to a close. Tomorrow morning we would be on a plane back to Kansas. I told Niall to stay here and I'd get back by myself, but he insisted on staying until school started. Both, Niall and I, sat in his mom's living room. Things had been awkward between us ever since our first day here.

"I'm gonna go see if your mom needs help with dinner." I said patting his right knee.

His eyes widened and he reached for my hand. "What?"

"Stop. It'll be fine." I assured kissing his forehead. I took a deep breath and walked into the nice kitchen. I found Maura at work.

"Uhm, Maura." I stammered walking to her side. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

She looked hesitant at first but eventually a smile spread across her face. "Sure."

After dinner Maura and I sat on the couch while the boys washed the dishes.

"Maura." I said hesitantly.

"yes?" she placed her wine down on the coffee table.

I fiddled with my fingers and pulled the sleeves of my sweater over my palms. "I know you may think that Niall and I might be making a mistake, trust me, I've thought the same thing." I tried hard to keep my voice strong and steady. "But, Niall truly makes me happy. When I'm with him I feel like I can do anything because I'm not alone. I have no idea how I would have made it through this summer without him." she looked me straight in the eyes. "I like to think he's happy with me too. And I promise you, I'll do anything to make him happy. The last thing I want to do is break his heart."

Maura smiled and crossed the living room to me. She wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly. "I know you won't." she said. Her eyes were brimming with tears but her smiled showed her joy. "and I also know Niall feels the same way about you."

Is this what it was like to have a mom that loved you? It was crazy. My mom never embraced me with so much joy my entire life. That realization made me want to cry, but I was taught not to cry, which only made the urge grow.

"So do you think we could go back to that 'almost mother daughter bond' we had before?" I smiled teary eyed.

She moved my long bangs away from my eyes and smiled warmly. "How about just a mother daughter bond?"

I hugged her again, probably too tight but I didn't care. I never realized how much I had missed out on. I mean, yeah, I had my dad but Mom had custody. I'm still trying to figure out how. It was nice to have a mother figure in my life.

-Niall's POV-

I walked into the living room to find Mum and Hayley hugging each other tightly. It was a load off to know things were starting to mend. I squinted slightly at Hayley's eyes. They looked slightly bloodshot and as if she would burst into tears at any moment.

"Well mum," I said. "I know how much you hate this, but we need to go."