The Christmas Kitten

Tobin's P.O.V.

I was hurrying back home from shopping for Christmas. It was twilight, and I wanted to get home before dark. I took a shortcut through an alleyway, and heard a sound behind me. I froze. "Meow?" the sound came again. "Mew?" I turned, and saw two bright green eyes in the shadows next to a dumpster. "Come on out." I said, crouching down and holding out my hand. "I'm not gonna hurt you." slowly, a tiny black kitten with bright green eyes came out of the shadows and sniffed my hand suspiciously. It was so thin, I could see its ribs through its fluffy black fur. "Hey, cutie." I said, scratching it behind the ears. "You look like you need a home and a family. I can help you with that." I picked the kitten up and tucked it under my arm, carrying it home. When I got there, I put it in the guest bedroom, then went downstairs to get it a plate of smoked salmon and a bowl of milk. The kitten meowed thankfully, and started eating. After it was done eating, I checked its gender, and found that it was a girl. "You stay here and be quiet, cutie." I said. The kitten meowed again, and curled up on the bed. For the next few days, I would go into the guest room twice a day to give the kitten salmon and milk. I was going to give her to Thalia as a Christmas present. On Christmas Day, I woke early to put the cat under the tree. I tied a red and green striped ribbon in a bow around her neck, and she gave me the same look that Thalia had given me when I had forced her into an old blue and white dress of mine. "Oh, come on." I said. "Don't give me that." I put the cat in one of the new cleats that I had gotten Thalia. "Stay there." I told her. The kitten meowed. I walked upstairs and kissed Thalia awake. "Merry Christmas, baby girl." I said. "Merry Christmas, Toby." She said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. I tied a piece of cloth around her eyes and picked her up. I carried her downstairs. The kitten, bless her, had stayed in the cleat. I took off Thalia's blindfold, and she gasped. "Tobin, you didn't!" She said. I laughed. "She's yours." I said. Thalia took the kitten in her arms. "Does she have a name?" She asked. "Nope." I said. "I'm gonna name you Kenobi." Thalia decided. "Wasn't the only Kenobi in those movies a boy?" I asked. "He had to have a mom, didn't he?" Thalia replied. "Besides, Kenobi is a perfectly good name for a cat. Don't you agree?" She addressed the tiny kitten in her arms, who meowed happily and batted at a strand of Thalia's hair. I chuckled. "Welcome to the family, Kenobi." I said.