Chapter 5

Why couldn't this morning just disappear? Why did this have to happen? She didn't do anything wrong? Why....why....why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He woke up wreaking like pool water because of his laziness to not take a shower yesterday. Wally took a quick one and got changed actually being downstairs early for once. He took a seat at the table scarfing down a plate of waffles while listening to the television in the background. The doorbell rang on cue as he walked to the door smirking. "Wow I didn't have to wait" Dick said sarcastically as Wally punched him lightly in the shoulder.

Dick was quieter than usual but he didn't take much notice to it but things just kept getting weirder. They soon arrived at school and he headed to his locker like he normally did. Artemis wasn't there which was sort of strange. Perhaps she was in class already? Wally walked to his class and took his seat. But to his surprise she never showed up.

Everyone kept whispering about something but it was probably just the latest gossip. The rest of the day he felt weird, he felt lonely. Swim practice was scheduled today. Mr Curry instructed that it were to be another lazy day. Wally spotted Megan floating around the corner of the pool so Kaldur and himself went to investigate.

He wasn't saying anything either which was also quite weird. Everyone was so hushed today. They both looked like they were dying to say something but wouldn't. "Okay seriously what the hell is everyone's freaking problem!" he yelled frustrated. Megan looked at him wide eyed as she gulped. "You haven't heard?" She stuttered out still giving him a scared look.

"No, what the hell has happened" he said impatiently.

"My friend, how do I put this-"

"Artemis isn't at school because her mother's dead" Megan blurted out cutting Kaldur off.

Wally's face grew pale, a sick feeling being brought to his attention.Megan looked like she still had something to say so he gave her the 'spill' look. "They're saying it was accidental or whatever but I heard" she said in a shaky voice. They got out of the pool and sat on the edge with their feet dangling in the water. "What do you mean by you heard?" Kaldur asked.

She gulped and Wally could see the tears were clouding her eyes. "I called Artemis last night. We talked for a bit until her phone dropped and I heard yelling. Artemis was screaming loudly and I heard sounds like glass breaking. Then I heard another softer voice and then it sounded like a struggle. A gun shot and another scream until the phone went dead" she stumbled over her own words now starting to crying.

Kaldur gave her a comforting hug as Wally stood there shocked. He still couldn't believe what he was hearing. He got up and excused himself from the rest of the 'practice' and then ran home. "Mom! What happened in the news today!" he yelled bursting through the front door. His mother was in the kitchen cooking and yelped since he startled her.

She put down what she was doing and turned on the television. "I recorded it because I thought you'd want to know" She said in a low voice before retreating back into the kitchen. News reports were coming up on the television about Artemis's mother. Her name was Paula Crock and they said there was an 'accidental' shooting leaving her dead.

Everyone knew it wasn't an 'accident'. Except for the fact that nobody wanted to challenge her father who practically ran this whole damned city. Wally went up to his room and sent his fist hurdling into the wall. 'How could he do that to Artemis? Why kill her mother?' he yelled inside of his head.

Thoughts rang through his mind before his hand began to bleed. He walked to the bathroom and wrapped it up before going to bed. Wally didn't want to eat or speak to anyone.