remember me

Mike walked up the stairway to the second floor of his house, sliding his hand against the railing.

He stepped towards an open door and looked inside the empty room he slept in his whole life.

Him and the others were all heading to college this week and today was the most painful one he's had to say goodbye to.

Eleven.

She was heading to Stanford with Max, Lucas and Dustin were going to Columbia University, while Mike and Will went to Princeton.

It was heartbreaking for all of them but it was an opportunity of a lifetime, no matter how bad they wanted to be together.

He walked in and examined what was left of the room, remembering all of the great memories in his house.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a glowing spark from the back of his closet, the sunlight reflecting off of it.

He opened the door and saw his old guitar he adored so much as a child. He used it pretty much every day, practicing and learning songs.

His family knew he was sensational at the instrument and bought him a new guitar, which was already in his case downstairs, and began to excel in his music.

He picked up the guitar and blew the dust off of it, coughing while doing so, and sat down in his mattress. His fingers strummed against the strings, creating a soft melody.

   "And I thought it was just good luck, clearly you're amazing." said an all-too-familiar voice.

Mike turned his attention towards the girl who leaned against the wall, her brown hair falling down to her shoulders.

   "Yeah, I am." smirked Mike, patting the seat beside him. El hesitantly went over to the bed and plopped down, looking down at her hands.

   "Everyone's downstairs waiting, Hop will be back in about ten minutes." mumbled El.

Mike looked at her sad expression in pain but slowly nodded. He suddenly thought of an idea to break time.

Something that always brought them together no matter how far apart they were.

   "Remember me..." he whispered, strumming the strings afterwards.

El looked up at him in shock, wondering how he still remembered the song.

   "Though I have to say goodbye, remember me. Don't let it make you cry." he sang, fluttering his eyes close.

   "For even if I'm far away, I hold you in my heart. I sing a secret song to you each night we apart, remember me." The song rhythmed around the room, quiet chattering heard downstairs.

   "Though I have to travel far, remember me. Each time you hear a sad guitar..."

   "Know that I'm with you, the only way that I can be." Mike opened his eyes, a couple of tears streaming down his face, as he heard El's beautiful voice sing along to the song.

   "Until you're in my arms again...Remember me." He set down the guitar and leaned his forehead against hers, connecting his hand with hers as well.