the only exception

day 260, 6:23 pm

el sat on the lounge beside max, sunshine glowing the two girls pale skin.

july was now about to come along, meaning fireworks and more excitement about summer.

   "so el," said max, keeping her eyes closed. "you think you're ready to swim freely?"

hopper, el, and max had gotten to the pool early so the redhead could teach her best friend how to swim.

it took a while at first, with her fear of water after everything she had been through in the lab, but she soon began to get the hang of it.

and when lucas and dustin arrived, the three kids slowly brought her to the deep end of the pool and now she could swim without any help.

   "definitely, i can't wait to show mike." she smiled proudly.

   "what the hell, lucas? i told you not to splash me!" exclaimed dustin, wiping his face. the two boys swam around in the pool, hopper reading a magazine while he layed on another lounge.

   "you were the one splashing water at me in the first place! i just got revenge." admitted lucas.

   "well if you want to play dirty..." trailed off dustin. he spun around quickly, creating a wave of water towards the other boy. "then let's play, bitch!"

the two continued to splash each other, making max shake her head. "idiots."

   "i think you've called them idiots at least one hundred times since i came back." giggled el.

   "well el, they are truly idiots. especially when they're with-" the sound of a door slamming open interrupted her.

steve and jonathan came rushing in, both ready to get into the pool.

   "i'm coming in!" yelled steve, jumping into the pool along with jonathan.

as they landed in the water, it splashed all over max and el. the redhead looked down at herself with a gaped mouth, then standing up and walking over to the edge of the pool. "will you guys ever grow up?"

then, el watched as a familar boy pushed her best friend into the pool. she heard the boy's laughter, joy filling her ears.

max rose up from the water after a second, anger in her expression. "mike- i'm going to kill you! and the rest of you dumbasses!"

she then swam over to the boys, who were swimming away from her, and splashed them.

"sure thing, maxine!" yelled mike. he then turned around and met with the most beautiful girl he had layed his eyes on.

she wore a multi colored and striped one piece, her wavy hair barely touching her shoulders as she talked to will and nancy.

el then turned her attention towards him and smiled, rushing over to the boy.

"hi mike!" she greeted, wrapping her arms around his bare waist.

he embraced her as well, watching will imitated him gushing over el as he went over to the pool and jumped in. he rolled his eyes and leaned out of the hug, "hey el, how are you?"

"halfway happy." she stated as they sat down on the lounge.

the saying was an important one, everyone in the group used it to show they were happy yet sad or mad at the same time.

mike looked at her with worry now, laying his hand on hers. "what's wrong?"

"nothing, i just missed you alot." she admitted. the boy beside her grinned slightly, then layed a kiss on her cheek.