47. The one with the Accords

"Nat, what's going on?" Elli asked as they walked down the hall.

"Our last mission went bad," Natasha shook her head. "You might not want to look at the news for a while."

Elli wanted to ask more, but she couldn't when Natasha opened up the conference room. She looked around the table to see everyone was there.

"Tony, why are you here?" Elli stood in the doorway.

"Take a seat," Tony gestured to the empty seat. "Secretary Ross would like a word with us."

Elli didn't like the Secretary of State, especially when he tried to kill Bruce once. Or rather the Hulk, but it was the same person to her. 

But she moved forward, taking a seat behind Sam.

"It's great to see you again Elli, wish it was under better circumstances," Ross let out a sigh. "Five years ago I had a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because, after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some, who would prefer the word, Vigilantes."

Elli didn't like how this conversation was going.

"What word would you use, Mister Secretary?" Natasha leaned back in her chair. 

"How about dangerous," Ross shot her a look. "What would you call a group of US based, enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore sovereign borders... and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Elli sat up straight as her eyes narrowed at him. Sam held his arm out, giving her the signal to stop before she did something stupid.

Ross turned to the tv as he pressed a button, a map of New York popped up with numbers by the side. "New York..." They watched a news recording from that day. People were screaming and running for their lives. "Washington, D.C." It changed to a map of their country's capitals as the news reports from that day played. Three giant helipads flew in the air before crashing into the water as some rose from buildings. "Sokovia." Elli couldn't even look as the next images popped up on the screen. That was the worst thing she had been a part of. She could still remember the feeling of the city rising and how terrified the people were. She finally realized what those big numbers meant on the side. They were the death totals. "Logos." That was the team's latest mission. 

"Okay, thats enough," Steve told him. 

Ross nodded his head as he turned the TV off. "In the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."