32| Cantonica

Meanwhile, Finn, Rose, Poe and BB-8 had began their journey to Cantonica.

They traveled at light speed and were nearly there.

The last time Finn and Rose had been to Cantonica, they had stood out from the crowd dressed in their Resistance uniforms. But now, Poe, Finn and Rose wore the fancy clothes that were typical for guests coming to Cantonica. They would blend in far better this time.

Finn just hoped that no one would recognize them.

They came out of light speed to see a planet just ahead of them. It was Cantonica. Poe brought the ship down to land on the beach, but Finn stopped him.

"That's not a good idea," he said.

Poe gave him a puzzled look.

"The last time we were here, we got thrown in prison because of a law against parking ships on the beach," Rose explained.

"We wouldn't want that," Poe said, and he found somewhere else to land the ship.

The ship doors opened and Finn held out his hand to Rose. She took it and he escorted her out of the ship.

Rose was wearing a long green gown. "You look beautiful," Finn told her.

She blushed. "Thank you," she said.

Poe who walked behind them, smiled to himself.

"Do you think we'll be recognized?" Rose asked Finn, echoing his earlier thoughts.

"Maybe they won't recognize us since we're wearing different clothes," he answered, confidently to convince both Rose and himself.

They bumped into a lady who had dark skin and black lips. She wore a black and white pants suit.

Finn was sure he had seen her before, but he couldn't remember where. Probably the last time we were here looking for the master code breaker, he thought, brushing the uneasy feeling aside.

"Excuse us," said Rose.

The woman nodded but gave them a suspicious look.

Poe stepped over and held out his hand to her. "Hello, my name is John," he said.

The woman shook his hand. "My name is Bazine Netal," she answered.

"It's nice to meet you Bazine," said Poe. "I was wondering if you knew who ran this place?"

The woman pointed to a man leaning against a wall on the other side of the room.

"Thank you," said Poe. Then he Rose, and Finn walked over to him.

"Can I help you?" the man asked.

"We would like to see the fathiers," said Rose.

"Unfortunately most of our fathiers escaped recently," he said. "But we managed to catch a few of them. Follow me and I'll show you them."

Finn, Rose and Poe followed the man to the stables where the fathiers were kept.

They did not see Bazine following them a distance behind.

In the stable there was a group of eight children working. One of them, a young boy was sweeping the floor. On his finger was a ring, the Resistance ring that Rose had given him when he helped her and Finn escape the last time they were on this planet.

The boy seemed happy to see them. His master gave him a strange look. The boy recovered quickly, focusing on his sweeping. He pretended to show no interest in the guests.

"Temiri! Stop that sweeping for now and get over here!" said his master, Jacaru.

Temiri dropped his broom and hurried over. "Yes Master?" he asked.

"Open the stall so our guests can see the fathiers," he ordered.

Temiri nodded. "Yes Master," he said, and he went to open the stall. Inside was a fathier. Temiri walked over to her and gently scratched her forehead.

Rose went over and held out her hand to the creature. The fathier bent down and pressed her head against Rose's hand. "She's beautiful," she said.

"Yes, she is," Jacaru agreed. "We used to have many more like her, but because of a group of rebels they all escaped. She was the slowest and that's how we managed to catch her."

But Temiri knew that wasn't true. The fathiers' name was Sunrise, and while she was slower than some of the other fathiers. She was not slow enough for Jacaru to catch on foot. Temiri knew what the fathier had done. He could feel it somehow, she had gone a different way than the other fathiers, at a slower pace to lead Jacaru off track so her friends could escape. Temiri thought it was very noble of her. As he thought about it, he realized that he would do the same for his friends. He wished he could help them escape.

Then he looked at the Resistance fighters. Maybe they would help him and his friends escape from this terrible place.