Chapter 29

I woke up to gun shots and screaming and sat up. I pet Delilah then grabbed my phone to check the time it was 7:26. Brian and Anita are still asleep. I got out of bed and looked out of the window and saw my dad shoot a squirrel in a tree and the squirrel fell from the tree.

"DADDY NOOOO!!!!!" I yelled which woke up Brian and Anita.

"Jackie what's wrong?" Brian asked.

"Can't talk now. I'll be right back." I said running outside.

When I was going outside my dad was coming back inside. I just went passed and ran out and picked up the squirrel. I noticed it was still breathing. There was no bullet, it looked completely fine.

"You poor squirrel. Thank god you're okay." I say as I went up to the window from the guest room and knocked on it. "Brian come out here for a second."

I sat down on a long holding the squirrel and was petting it until Brian came up behind me.

"What's wrong?" Brian asked. "You're dad shot a squirrel didn't he?"

"I don't think he was aiming for the squirrel, I mean the squirrel looks fine I didn't find any wounds or a bullet he probably just got startled." I say putting the squirrel down and it runs up a tree.

"It seems fine now. You just saved a squirrel I'm proud of you. Did you name it?"

"I don't think you should be naming wild animals you'll just get attached and you won't want to let them go."

"So you didn't name it?"

"Chuck."

"You did name it."

"Yeah." I nod. "We should go back inside."

"Yes let's go."

We went back inside and see my sister in the kitchen.

"What are you two doing?" Grace asks.

"Nothing we was just outside."

"What were you doing outside?"

"Saving a squirrel." I replied.

"Oh Jacklynn..." Grace started. "Your love for animals is gonna get you killed one day."

"I rather get killed by something I love than anything else." I say grabbing a juice pouch and going into the living room Grace and Brian following me. "Hey when did we get these?"

"What the juice pouches? You know dad always buys them."

"Yeah...true."

"We should get going." Brian said.

"We're going home?" I ask.

"We are." Anita says coming out of the guest room.

"Wait dad is going with you guys." Grace says.

"What for?" I ask.

"He got that car for Brian to use while you guys are here." Grace says. "He has to take the car back to Greg."

"Greg? Who is Greg?" I ask.

"You forgot about Greg? He's the guy that sales used cars. Dad got his truck from him."

"Oh yeah him."

"Dad they're leaving now!"

"Let's Go then." Dad says walking into the living room and out the door along with Brian, Anita, and I following behind him.

"Wait Jacklynn I got you something." Grace says running into her room.

I stood by the door waiting for her. She comes back with a pillow.