The Sidekick

Penny smiled as she took her suitcases up to the town that her driver dropped her off by.

"Bygone Island: The place for relaxation and fun. Action almost everyday. Full of different talking animals, perfect for someone who is looking for something new and different." The human girl read from her Bygone Island guide. She looked around.

The magazine was right... there were different animals moving around. They were in strange shapes, almost like real people, that she didn't even know some of the animal types. She spotted a few foxes, cats, hippos, but the others she couldn't identify.

"This is a strange town." She muttered to herself. "This magazine about this place wasn't kidding. There really aren't any humans here."

She pulled her suitcase along with her. "Well. Gotta check it out, hu?" She asked to nobody in particular.

She continued to walk until she bumped into someone. She tumbled to the ground in surprise, and so did the figure she bumped into.

"I am so sorry!" She turned around into a sitting up position and looked up at the figure. The figure wore a brown hood, hiding any facial expressions he-or she-might be hiding.

"Shh! You'll blow my cover!" The stranger helped her up, and grabbed he hand, and pulled her behind a tree.

"Wah-" She gasped, startled by that sudden move.

"Ok, who are you, and why are you wearing a cloak disguising yourself like a wizard?" Penny asked, brushing herself off and starring hard at the figure in front of her

"Sorry to disturb you." The voice of a young boy piped up. "I was headed over there." He pointed to a shack up ahead, where a long line of animals stood in wait. Penny noticed a red echidna with a moon symbol on his chest, a pink hedgehog, and a beaver. Penny couldn't really tell what the other animals were.

"That shack is holding a Sidekick Auction. The one who knows how to help the hero through times of battle. I was fired from my job and sadly had to leave. But I'm not letting that get to me. I'm going to fight my way there and take my job back before some weirdo does!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up. What's going on? And just who are you?" Penny placed her hand on her hips.

"First of all, I apologize for not introducing myself earlier." The creature took off his hood to reveal a yellow-orange fox with blue eyes. To the girl's surprise, he had two tails behind him.

"You have two tails!" Penny exclaimed.

"That's actually my name." The fox smiled.

"Two tails?" Penny looked confused.

The yellow fox laughed. "No! Tails!" He reached out his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Tails, my name is Penny." Penny shook his hand.

"That's a pretty name. Welcome to Bygone Island, Penny!" Tails smiled.

"Ok, now can you explain everything, Tails?" Penny asked.

Tails did. He told Penny how he was a hero's partner in battle... A sidekick, to be exact. A sidekick to an incredible speedy blue blur named Sonic the Hedgehog. He told the girl how he got hurt in the last battle, and how Sonic fired Tails. Penny suggested to him it was possibly for his own safety, but he said, "He possibly wanted me out of the way!"

"Somehow, I don't think so," Penny crossed her arms.

"We've got to get my job back! Will you help me?" He asked, looking at Penny with pleading eyes.