Two Good To Be True

They were fighting Eggman. Again.

Sonic yelped as he slipped on some of Octopus Bot's ink. "I could use some help here."

"I'm all over it," Dave announced, walking up. He held his weapon at Eggman. " Anyone order a butt-kicking with a side of pain and extra humiliation sauce?"

Dave began firing burgers at Octopus Bot, messing up Eggman's window. It shot a laser at Penny. The human girl yelped, the blow knocking her into the air.

"PENNY!" Sonic yelled, reaching out to the human girl.

Knuckles rode in on hoverboards just in time to rescue the young girl before falling. He caught her in his arms and smiled lovingly at Penny. " I always knew you'd fall for me."

Penny sighed dreamily.

"Knuckles the Echidna, my arch-nemesis." Eggman sneered down at them. Knuckles placed Penny down and stood protectively in front of her, glaring at Eggman. "You never learn, do you, Egghead. You'll never defeat my team!"

"We're a team?!" Sonic grinned excitedly. "We should get matching uniforms!"

Knuckles chuckled. "Oh Sonic. Uniforms by definition match." He pulled Penny up to Sonic and patted his head. "Watch after her. Now, if you'll excuse me, the grown-ups have some work to do."

Knuckles began fighting the Octopus Bot. He punched the ground, sending out a powerful shockwave that tossed the robots and Octopus Bot back.

Noticing a red light zooming at Knuckles, Penny yelled. "KNUCKLES, LOOK OUT!"

"NOOOOO!" Sonic yelled. He leaped forward to save Knuckles...

....and caught his chili dog before it hit the ground.

Sonic smiled at it in relief. "Oh, got it! That was almost the worst disaster imaginable." He took a bite out of it and hummed happily.

"Wow. The chili dog means everything to you," Penny snickered, bringing out the hotdog and hamburger meat.

Sonic smirked at her. "Joy, they are."

"Now where's this 'Joy' coming from?" Penny grinned. "It's not my real name."

"It suits you." Sonic grinned back. "You're always so joyful. I thought it would be the perfect nick-name for you."

"Fine. You can call me Joy. Just be sure you don't use it too much or you'll forget my real name," she snickered at him, placing the plate of meat down. She glanced up nervously. "I wonder where Knuckles is? He's supposed to be bringing back the buns."

"Eh, he'll show up eventually." Sonic said.

At that moment, Knuckles popped right in front of Penny, and she yelped, startled at the sudden turn. Sticks shared the same amount of shock. "Yargh! Kill it with fire!"

"Calm down, it's just Knuckles." Tails said.

"Oh. KILL KNUCKLES WITH FIRE!"

Sonic glanced at Knuckles in surprise. "Cool entrance, Knux."

Penny frowned at him. "You were supposed to get hamburger buns."

Knuckles glanced at her with a serious look. "In mid-battle? Sweet Penny, there will be time for your delicious burgers after we've defeated that dastardly deviant Eggman."

"Nice vocab," Sonic said, sounding stunned.

"And impressive alliteration. You've been taking night classes?" Tails asked, stunned as well.