Sole Power

"What's so awesome that you had to bring me and Penny all the way out here?" Sonic asked as he, Tails, and Penny sat in Tails' mobile.

"Check it out." Tails smiled. "Voice-activated control!"

"Voice-activated control?" Penny smiled. "Cool!"

"Watch this." Tails smiled, turning to the controls. "Start engine."

The mobile powered up.

Sonic smiled. "Huh. Let me try. Give me a chocolate shake!"

The dashboard opened and handed Sonic a vanilla shake. He frowned. "Vanilla? I asked for chocolate! Fail!"

The machine then pulled out a chocolate sauce, pouring it on Sonic's head. Penny let out a giggle. Tails smiled. "Still working on the kinks. There's a towel in the workshop."

Sonic handed Penny the milkshake and zoomed off. However, once he started running, a loud, painful noise came from his feet, causing the mobile to go haywire.

Penny and Tails screamed as the mobile zoomed ahead.

"TAILS, DO SOMETHING!" Penny screamed, clinging to the mobile.

"Uh, Voice Control, I don't mean to be bossy, but, DON'T CRASH!" Tails cried.

"Uh, Tails..." Penny gulped. Tails looked ahead to see the volcano up ahead. "Uh oh..." Tails gulped.

Thankfully, the Mobile stopped going haywire, and Penny and Tails sighed with relief.

That was until the painful sound came back. Tails and Penny shrieked again, covering their ears.

The mobile tilted again. Penny and Tails screamed as the Mobile headed towards the lava...

....but Sonic saved them in the nick of time. He bumped them back to the surface. Sonic turned to them with a smile. "I guess voice-controlled rocket thrusters are a bad idea when you two are screaming." He said, helping a shaken-up Penny climb out of the mobile.

Tails unbuckled his seat belt and glared at Sonic. "Penny and I wouldn't have been screaming if you weren't making that horrible noise!"

Sonic frowned, glancing down at Penny, who was shuddering in fright and breathing heavily from the near-death experience, clinging to him. He glared back at Tails. "What noise? I didn't hear any noise."

"Wait a minute!" Tails said in realization. He walked up to Sonic and Penny. "I bet it's because you're faster than the speed of sound, you don't hear it!"

"I'll prove it wasn't me!" Sonic said, gently prying Penny off him. He smirked at the two. "When I start running and nothing happens, you're going to feel so dumb."

He zoomed off again, and the noise came back. Tails and Penny screamed, covering their ears. Sonic stopped, frowning. "Now that's just circumstantial evidence."

....................................................................................................................................................................................

"Sonic, I'm going to run a few tests to figure out what's wrong with you," the kitsune said, holding a reflex hammer.

After a few tests, Tails and Penny could still hear the noise. Tails sighed. "I just can't figure out what's wrong with you! Until we get to the bottom of this, you'd better not run."

"All right, no problem," Sonic smirked and zoomed off. The noise blared, causing Penny and Tails to both scream and cover their ears.

"Sorry, old habit," Sonic said apologetically.