Give Bees a Chance

"When I first invested in this dig site, I considered it just another tax shelter. But today, it's going to need a tax shelter of it's own, because we've uncovered the ancient and ambiguously powerful Fregosi Sapphire." Mr. Slate announced, holding the Fregosi Sapphire for everyone to see.

The moment was short-lived when a claw reached down and grabbed it, handing it over to Eggman. The doctor smirked at Mr. Slate, pridefully holding the sapphire in his hand. "Yoink! Thanks for doing all the work for me, suckers!"

"Ahem!"

Eggman turned towards the sound and frowned at the sight of Sonic and the others in front of him.

"Soup's on, Egghead!" Sonic smirked, launching one of his spin attacks towards Eggman and retrieving the crystal. Furious, Eggman fired at the blue hedgehog, but Sonic managed to dodge them easily. He quickly ran up a mountain peak and almost fell off it, but managed to regain his footing and jumped off the mountain before the lasers smacked into him.

While Sonic fell, he radioed the rest of his friends. " Coming in for a hard landing, Tails. You got me covered?"

"Roger!" Tails answered.

"Who's Roger?" Knuckles asked in confusion.

"Knuckles, Tails is clearly talking to Sonic," Penny's exasperated voice was heard next.

"Thanks, buddy, I own one." Sonic told Tails as he continued to fall.

Penny then spoke up, sounding annoyed. "I'd say a million."

Sonic sighed. "Must everyone chime in with a quip?"

"Communication is the key to a functional relationship, Sonic." Amy pointed out to him. Sonic stuttered. "Relationship? Who said anything about a relationship?"

Tails flew his plane and caught Sonic before he hit the ground. Eggman's bee bots attacked, and the gang quickly smashed them to bits.

Eggman glanced around at his broken bee bots and glared at the team. " You know, you guys can be a real buzzkill sometimes." He kept grumbling to himself as he flew off.

Sonic and Penny both shared a high five, and Sonic walked over to Mr. Slate, sapphire in his hand. "I believe this sapphire is yours."

Mr. Slate chuckled, waving it away. "Oh, no. With Eggman after it, my premiums are gonna shoot through the roof. For some reason, insurance companies hate supervillains, which is weird since they're basically the same thing."

Knuckles walked over and carefully took the sapphire from Sonic's hands and turned to Mr. Slate with a grin. "I'll watch it for you. People have been complaining that I don't guard enough rare stones."

Sonic glanced over at Penny, noticing her troubled expression as she glanced at the smashed robots. "What's wrong?" He asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Penny glanced up at him. "Sonic, you ever wonder what happens to Eggman's minions after a battle?"

Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, Tails, and Sticks all mumbled, "Nah."

"Why do you ask?" Sonic asked.

"I dunno." Penny shrugged, walking away from the gang and over to the pit of broken robot parts. She stood in the middle of the debris, watching Orbot and Cubot sweep away the pieces.

"Hey, Pen, it's time to go!" Sonic called.

"Okay, coming!" The human girl called back. She took one step forward and tripped over one of the rubble, falling on her stomach. Sonic quickly ran over and kneeled in front of her. "Are you okay?"