Robots from the Sky part Two

Sonic's eyes widened as he watched Penny fall to the ground, unconscious. He ran over to the human girl and scooped her up in his arms, shaking her. "Penny?! Penny?!"

The girl remained unresponsive for a few moments, and Sonic began to panic.

After a few moments, the girl stirred in his arms, and he sighed in relief, his heart pounding. Penny groaned and opened her eyes slowly to look at Sonic's terrified expression. "I'm okay." She muttered weakly. "What about Tails?!"

"I'm fine." Tails said, running up to the human girl, his eyes wide with panic. "You really didn't need to do that!"

The lasers started to fire again. Sonic growled angrily and held Penny protectively in his arms. No way was he gonna let her get hurt again. He turned to his team and gave out his orders. "Forget the ground. Hold your weapons!"

Penny didn't know what was happening...she was too weak from the blast to even figure it out. But from her vision she could make out the Cubot Prototypes.

Knuckles gasped, his eyes widening. "What the heck? These Cubot prototypes should be cute and friendly, like Amy. Now they're bloodthirsty and vindictive, like Amy when I move her throw pillows."

Amy frowned at Knuckles. "I put those pillows in their spot for a reason. When you throw them aside you ruin the whole tableau."

"Ugh, but they're throw pillows!" Knuckles complained. He yelped as he got zapped by something. The prototypes laughed and continued their zapping. Sticks also got zapped by one of the prototypes.

"We gotta figure out how to corral these guys without hurting them!" Sonic said. With Penny still in his arms, he ran over to one of the Cubots. Penny realized what he was going for...the self destruct buttons. The human girl did the honors and pressed the self destruct button herself.

"Or that." Sonic said, smiling proudly at Penny.

"Of course. Go for the self-destruct buttons on their head!" Tails said as he dodged another Cubot and pressed another self destruct button. "I'll put them back together later."

Pretty soon, everyone took turns dodging the Cubots and self destructing them. When they were destroyed, Sticks walked up to Tails with worry in her eyes. "I'm worried, Tails."

"Me, too." Penny whimpered, burying her face in Sonic's shoulder.

"It's OK, Sticks and Penny. I'll rebuild them and they'll be as good as new." Tails said reassuringly.

Penny sighed in relief. "Phew..."

Sticks shuddered. "That's what I was worried about."

"What's caused them to go crazy?" Amy asked with a frown.

"Maybe I should run some tests on these Cubots. See what got them all worked up."

Later....

"Well, that's the last of the Cubots. Man. I've never seen so much malware before." Tails hummed as he fixed the remaining Cubots.

"Clearly you've never downloaded the Meh Burger app." Sonic said, placing a bandage on the spot where Penny got hit.

"What do you think happened that made them go haywire?" Penny asked, turning to Tails.

Tails turned towards them, looking serious. "And the crazy part is the Cubots' malware was identical to the virus I found on Mighton and Bolts' ship."

"Is there a connection?" Penny asked.

Tails was about to answer when their communicators blinked. "Sonic, Penny, Tails, get down here! It's a code red!"

"The cable company's raising rates again?!" Sonic asked.