Unnamed Episode

Penny stood next to her friends as the mayor made one of his latest announcements. "As we all remember, the epicenter of tourism for our fair village was the giant ball of twine. That is, until someone unwound it"

The audience booed at Sonic.

Sonic frowned at the crowd. "I only did it to stop a deadly rockslide from steamrolling the whole town. I remember it like it was yesterday."

The mayor scowled at Sonic. "We don't have time for a flashback. We need to reinvigorate tourism. Suggestions?"

Amy raised her hand. "What if we sold T-shirts for the town. Get our name out there."

"Great idea. Just a quick question: What is the name of our town?" Wild Cat asked.

Penny's eyes widened. "He's right!"

The crowd murmured in response.

"Our village must have a name, and I know just how to find out. Everyone, to the library!" Amy said excitedly, pointing at the library.

Silence.

"To the wonderful world of books!" Penny said, agreeing with Amy. The girls both pointed at the library.

Awkward silence.

Tails held out his laptop. "Or I could just look it up online?"

Amy shook her head. "But the library is an important resource, with its easy-to-use card catalogues and cabinets upon cabinets full of microfiche."

Tails' laptop beeped, and she and Penny turned to him as he grinned excitedly. " Found it!"

Everyone cheered, and Amy groaned. Penny patted her shoulder comfortingly.

Tails continued. "Our town was originally called Badgerville. Named after its founder, Jebediah Badger, he was a ruthless bank owner and land owner who seized power by manipulating the system."

Mayor Fink laughed nervously at the thought. "Thank goodness we don't let people like that run our city anymore."

Tails continued. "He kicked people out of their homes, just to develop on their land, and expand his fortune. Eventually, our ancestors rebelled, chasing him out of town. Then they tore down all the signs bearing his image and the town's name. Afterward, they were too lazy to hang up new ones." Tails glanced up from his laptop. " So I guess technically it's still called Badgerville."

Penny glanced at Sticks, who looked horrified. "What's wrong, Sticks?" She asked.

Sticks glanced at Penny. "That's impossible! Jebediah was..." She held out a photo and showed it to Penny and Tails, and the crowd gathered around as she stuttered. "my great-great grandfather!"

The audience gasped dramatically, including Sticks.

"My ancestor was... the man!"

........................................................................................

Penny and Amy sat down next to Sticks in her burrow as she moped. "Jebediah Badger stood for everything I hate in this world: Abuse of power, oppression, shoddy sign construction..."

"You have nothing to do with him, so it's nothing to be ashamed of." Amy said reassuringly.

"Amy's right, Sticks. You're not like your grandfather." Penny added. "You're you."

Sticks smiled at them. "I guess I overreacted." She pulled Penny and Amy in a hug. "Thanks, Penny, Amy."

.....................................................................................