More than a while

The Avatar came in, "Everything okay?" She asked her water bending teacher, to which she shook her head.

"Not really, but I'm proud of how far you've come." She smiled, the younger woman came.

"Sifu Katara, you miss him- Don't you?" She questioned, the elder nodded.

"Yes, it's been thirty years. That's much more than a while," she sniffled from tears.

"Anyway, I best get going. I should see you tomorrow?" She queried, the master water bender nodded.

"For sure, it'll be a while before I go. Now go to your wife and son, they should be worried."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, the Avatar came back to find her air bending teacher clearing up. "What's going on, Tenzin?!" She asked, he looked at her.

"My mother died last night, she said she wants you to have this." He gave her a piece of paper, she opened it.

Dear Korra,

By the time you're reading this, I'm already dead... As I never got a proper chance to say goodbye, I would like to just say one thing: I love you. Whether I am talking to you or my husband, who knows? I am proud of you, please know that. Stay safe, for me and everyone who well and truly cares for you.

~Katara

She started to cry at the letter, but knew that she's happy. Happy to be with her husband, she so yearned to be with...