Part 8

"Page Robbins, Altman, Torres and Shepherd!" Yelled Kepner from the ER "incoming trauma!" She grabbed her resident and said "Dr DeLuca is not allowed in the room, you keep her out" the resident nodded and they all walked outside to wait for the ambulance.
"It's Kate? Are you sure it's Kate?" Asked teddy
"It's her" said Arizona.
"Maya she's coming in the ambulance with her. Someone's gotta handle her." Said Kepner
"I've got her" said Bailey from behind
"Chief, is Warren okey?" Asked Callie
"He's okey, I spoke with him. It's not good" she said referring to Kate
"How are we supposed to believe the world is good?" Asked Amelia silently
*In the ambulance*
"Kate no no, don't close your eyes bug stay awake please." Said Maya crying.
"Maya you have to let us do this" said vic moving Maya
"No no, I need to be with her" she said
Vic sitted Maya on the side bench of the ambulance and said "hold her hand"
Vic and Andy worked on Kate together with Warren
Andy whispered to Warren "her head?"
"Could be a number of things" said Ben
"Kate, Kate! Come on you need to stay awake." Said Vic
Maya just cried her eyes away on the side of the ambulance. Not knowing what to do. Or not understanding what just happened.
"We are here!" Yelled Travis.
Travis got down and opened the doors. Andy and Warren came down with Kate's gurney.
"16 year old. Massive injures, crashed wrist, probably multiple rib cracks. Head injury, smoke inhalation." Said Warren as they pushed her into the ER
"Her, her blood is O Negative. She's..." said Maya and before she could finish she was caught by Bailey who wouldn't let her go any further.
"Miranda let go!" Yelled maya in despair, Carina who was paged 911 to the ER heard Maya's yell and rushed there when she got to the ER she saw Kate's gurney being pushed into the trauma room.
Owen hurried over to grab Carina who was running towards the room.
"Carina carina! Look at me! You can't go in there" said Owen folding her
"SHE IS MY DAUGHTER!" Yelled carina
"I know! That's why you can't go in!" Said Owen
Maya was already passing over Bailey when the 19 team came over to grab her
"Maya Maya! You can't go in there" said Gibson grabbing maya.
"Let me go!" She cried.
"Captain bishop. You have to let them work!" Said Bailey.
Carina and Maya saw each other and rushed to them.
"What the hell happened?" Said carina as she looked at the trauma room"
"She saved lives at the fire" said Maya falling into Carina's arms.
"You two can't go in there" said Bailey
"I wanna know what's happening!" Yelled carina as she tried to pass through them
"I'll go in and update you" said Owen
The team took maya and carina as the team got checked over. Maya of course refused to. Since she couldn't do anything else but blame herself
*inside the trauma room*
"I need a head CT stat!" Yelled Amelia
"I need to cut this shirt! Hand me scissors!" Yelled teddy as she cut through Kate's shirt and her and Arizona stood in shock
"There four cracked ribs" said Arizona pressing on Kate's ribs. "Callie take a look here."
"This wrist is crashed. If I can fix it I'll need to do in the OR" said Callie and rushed to her ribs she placed her hand on Kate's ribs and said "fourth rib is displaced and you need to relieve the pressure underneath."
"I'll do it in the OR" said teddy.
"Page Avery, he can fix that nasty cut. On her face. Altman, lungs?" Asked Arizona
"Massive smoke inhalation. We're keeping her in O2" said teddy. She placed her stethoscope on her chest and said "I need to put a chest tube now! A lung is full with blood"
Both Arizona and teddy placed a chest tube on Kate's chest and her O2 stats started improving.
Kate's eyes slowly started opening but, it was kinda hard to understand what was happening, the last time she was awake she was hot, in a fire, trapped and dying alone. When she opened her eyes now she was laying, naked, exposed on a cold place with people talking over her.
As her eyes opened her first reaction was to stand up and get the help away, that was before the pain got to her. As she tried to get up immediately she felt hands on her chest who wouldn't let her move.
"Arizona! Teddy!" Yelled Amelia who was holding Kate's head steady.
Arizona rushed to hold her still "Kate, Kate easy. Easy sweetie"
Teddy knew the look on Kate's eyes. She had seen it before. She had seen it in Irak. She stood there just remembering the horrifying things those soldiers who had that look went through. She didn't want to know Kate had gone through something like that.
"Teddy!" Yelled Arizona who couldn't hold Kate alone.
"I.... I no! No! Let me go please! Let me go! The stairs!" Yelled Kate as she tried to move. Those yells were interrupted by a moan of pain which rapidity made her lay still just trying to hold her ribs but she realised her left hand was unmovable since Callie was trying to work on it.
"Push five or morphine!" Yelled Arizona as she tried to hold Kate
"Kate, Kate sweetie look at me!" Said Arizona.
Kate's eyes filled with tears kept on picturing the fire and were filled with fear. Suddenly her fighting stopped, her head just laid there.
Amelia passed her torch through her eyes and said "a pupil blow! We need to relieve the pressure!"
"We need to get to the OR now!" Yelled Callie
"We are moving go! Go!" Yelled Amelia
All the doctors rushed with Kate's gurney straight to the OR.
"Drill" said Amelia and started the burr holes on Kate's head.
"Scalpel" said Arizona and teddy as they started opening through Kate's ribs
"Scalpel" asked Callie and opened Kate's wrist to start the wrist repare
"Four burr holes done" said Amelia as she took off her gloves to read the Kate's CT a nurse brought her.
"She has a massive concussion on her temporal lobe. No bleeding. She'll stay in close and strict and complete bed rest and neuro observation for that concussion and I want hour checkups for those burr holes." Said Amelia.
Callie lifted her head and said "I'll need to put at least 3 screws and a plate. She'll have a hell of recovery."
"Torres we have exposed the fourth rib we are ready here." Said teddy
"Okey then will replace it" said Callie walking over to the other side.
Cardiac monitor decreasing
"She's going into arrest" said Arizona
"It's the rib, it's pressing" said teddy
Callie and teddy together extended the rib incision and replaced that rib.
"She's in arrest! I need a crash cart!" Yelled Arizona
"One second!" Said teddy after as she was finishing the blood relief "go shock!"
"Clear!" Yelled Arizona and Kate's body was lifted by electricity
The flatline monitor made everyone look at each other
"Charge to 300!" Ordered Arizona. "Clear!" Yelled Altman
The flatline monitor just crashed everyones heart.
Teddy looked at the monitor and yelled "charge to 360!"
"Clear!" Yelled Arizona
A weak heartbeat appeared on the monitor
"Thank you lord." Murmured Callie looking up
Being at the hospital as a patient is never easy. But being in an OR laying open. That's worst.
At the waiting room
"It's stupid! I'm going" said Carina as she stood up
"Carina, carina! They are working there. You need to breath" said Bailey.
Maya was speechless she just sat there looking at nothing. Just prayed and prayed and prayed holding Carina's hand.
"She is a hero" said Andy as she rubbed Maya's back.
"Freaking supergirl" said jack who brought coffee for everyone
"Carina! Ho appena scoperto. Di che cosa hai bisogno?" Said Andrew as he squadded in front of carina
Between breaths carina said "I just need to go in that OR"
"Carina, you can't. It won't help you, won't help Kate." Said Andrew
Carina looked at Maya and squeezed her hand and looked back at Andrew "I'm the only one who did nothing to help save her. And my baby she could be..." she said as she broke into tears.
Andrew sat next to Carina holding her tightly and Carina's tears quickly traveled to Maya. Andy held Maya tightly and said "she's getting out of this one"
At the scrub room Arizona and Teddy were scrubbing out
"You can't do that ever again. In the trauma room. You froze. You left me alone, she was scared to hell and you just transmited more fear." Said Arizona sharply
"You think I liked being paralysed? You think I volunteerly did it?" Said teddy as she dried her hands. "It wasn't fear what you saw in her eyes. What you saw? You saw trauma. It's real Arizona, PTSD you all don't get it. You haven't seen it. It's real. I've only seen that look on soldiers after they faced death so close they shake its hand"
"You think Kate will?" Said Arizona softly
"I've been praying for her not to. But ignoring it, it's not taking care of it. Megan Hung woke up like that after her helicopter crashed. She had the worst PTSD I've seen." She said. "So I'm begging to God for her not to, but the reality is not that one" said teddy and walked away.
Arizona stood frozen as Callie walked out.
"I saved full mobility of her wrist and hand. She'll have a long recovery. Poor baby thing. She's just a child. I can't even think about maya. Taking her baby out of that..." said Callie cleaning a tear
"I kept on thinking of Sofia, how I would be just making myself crazy and just drowning." Said Arizona and breathed "just like carina is doing right now" she added

Hope you like it!!