Untitled Part 62

Chapter 512: At Lindel (3)

"You didn't leave, after all, Pope Basel..."

"You say that, Sir Oscar, but aren't you also holding your post?"

"The Continental Union is holding its place despite its fears. In this world, is there a leader who will flee only to save himself? Even if I die, I will die with my country. I will die with those who are here. That's the least that I can do as a powerless leader."

When Oscar looked sideways, he noticed Pope Basel was quietly nodding in agreement.

Was that a face full of concern? Even traces of his fiery personality, so infamous among even the Roman Curia, could no longer be found.

Pope Basel's face, which had aged considerably in the last couple of years, seemed to reflect his state of mind. It probably wasn't just because of the demon attacks.

Since the incident, Pope Basel was no longer able to have a decent night of sleep.

From the moment Honorary Cardinal Lee Kiyoung had been captured by the demon, he didn't leave the prayer room except to participate in external public affairs. As if to reflect his agony, tears of blood gushed out from the goddess's statue, making Pope Basel deliver more sincere prayers.

He was desperate enough to ruin his health.

"It is the same for me too. I'm too old to even remember a holy spell. It is already dreadful that I can't stand on the front line; how can I leave my country to survive alone? We will definitely... definitely overcome this."

"You have not given up."

"Ha, actually, a couple of days ago..."

"Yes?"

"I got in contact with the Blue Guild Master."

"By Guild Master, you mean..."

"Yes. The sword-master of light. He asked me to believe and pray."

"Ah..."

"He told me that Honorary Cardinal Lee Kiyoung was still fighting the demons. He heard it directly from the Cardinal and has asked me to never give up and send prayers that could give him strength."

"I see."

"I was embarrassed, Sir Oscar."

"What do you mean, Pope Basel?"

"It felt as if he saw through me. The young hero noticed my wavering, despondent heart that was about to give up. It felt as if he saw my resentment towards goddess Benignore for not saving me."

"Cardinal Lee Kiyoung will definitely, most definitely persevere."

"I agree. Without a doubt, he will. Honorary Cardinal Lee Kiyoung will surely persevere. Goddess Benignore will never abandon her faithful servant. However, before that..."

"We must address our imminent threats."

"Yes, I believe in our goddess, our future, our soldiers fighting for our empire, and Cardinal Lee Kiyoung, who is battling his internal turmoil harder than anyone else."

"I also..."

"..."

"I also share that sentiment."

He swallowed back his bitter smile and stared at the view in front of him.

There were those who weren't running away even if they could have surely done it. There were those who clasped their hands together to pray at the capital's square even as the darkness loomed over Lindel.