Untitled Part 119

Chapter 569: Mikhail (1)

"What does it say, Mikhail-nim?"

"It says that she wants to have a cup of tea with me. I don't think she would ask me to drink tea just for leisure. It seems you guys are right."

"Yes, thank you for your decision."

"There's no need to feel grateful. I only realized a little faster than everyone else what was better for the Republic and the Continent."

"But I'm afraid that your reputation will become tainted. I feel guilty just by even mentioning this."

"That's all useless after the passing of death. It's been a while since I stopped obsessing over things like honor and glory, unlike my friend. It seems that you guys are the same too."

"..."

"My friend gave up everything to protect his honor. He was the type who would've given up his life for such a thing, and I couldn't understand him until the end. Haha, he'll probably laugh at me if he sees me right now."

"I don't think so. I'm sure..."

"No, I'm sure he'll laugh at me, asking me if what I was doing was important enough to destroy the reputation I've so carefully built up so far from the ground."

"..."

"I have lived on this continent for a very long time. I've been here before you guys, called adventurers, were even summoned here. There was no place in this vast land that I didn't love. I called it my hometown. When you first entered the continent, I firmly believed that you would develop it. Truthfully, you guys did develop this place rapidly. It's the same for my friend too. However, there were some good influences as well as bad ones."

"..."

"Like that friend... I thought Chairman Lee Kiyoung would be able to cure the continent."

"That means..."

"However, that man doesn't know how to share."

"..."

"When Lee Kiyoung- that man- asked me if I could manage this place, I became certain when I saw his eyes. He could be a cure if used well, but poison if misused... He's that kind of person. However, he's too greedy for him to be a cure to this continent. Look at this stupid little hand mirror. You said that these kinds of things had existed in your world. But can you believe it?"

"..."

"Can you believe... how this little thing can control the entire continent? Regardless of age or gender, even people who were initially amazed or scared of the item now possess this small hand mirror to the point that people can't live their daily lives without it. I'm sure most people wouldn't realize it, but there's a huge amount of data accumulated in this small but infinite space, and Lee Kiyoung can look into it. My point is that the entire continent is under surveillance by just one person."

"..."

"I can't say that this is freedom."

"I understand."

"You can't say you're actually alive when one person controls the whole continent."

"..."

"Once, my friend had explained an interesting novel to me. It was a novel written by a famous writer named George Orwell. The place where we are living now is no different from the place in the novel. An individual shouldn't be allowed to control everything. Even media that criticize him are inspected before releasing materials. The same goes for the media that praise him."