Untitled Part 138

Chapter 588: Unknown Future (1)

"There's nothing more frightening than stupid people having faith... Thinking about it, I realized that it's referring to individuals like you. You don't know how this continent works, what's here, what's going to happen. How nice would it have been if you were as still as the rest? Belief, my ass... How can you still say that even after you witnessed the scene caused by the demon contractors?"

"I think... what you just told me... answers the question."

"What?"

"Every intelligent creature living here deserves to live with their own thoughts and self-judgment. They must have their own convictions and act freely according to their own will. That's what it means to be a human... gasp... that's how humans should live."

"..."

"Thank you for making me realize it once again... about what you think about the people... and how you look at and treat them. I'm grateful to you for proving that my choice wasn't wrong."

He kept breathing heavily as if it was hard for him to talk.

'That's just bullshit.'

It was so ridiculous that I was on the verge of laughing.

'Intellectual creatures? Judge by themselves? That his choice wasn't wrong?'

The thought that he had watched too many anime shows that supposedly weren't available on the continent came to me.

"You must have watched too many cartoon movies. I can't understand what you're talking about at all... Who else loves the people as much as I do?"

"They are not stupid. They aren't stupid and can stand up on their own. I ... I just think that your way isn't right. You might have thought of yourself as the continent's medicine, but you're not. You are the continent's cancer. You're nothing but a dictator who deceives the people and standardizes their ideas. You're the one who's making them ignorant. You're the one who's making a fool out of them."

"..."

"The continent is decaying. Your greed... is destroying the entirety of it."

"You're good with words, Mikhail. I used to like that about you. Are you done?"

"Although this job ended in failure, I'll never regret that I rebelled against you. I thought I did what I had to do..."

"I don't know what I did so wrong for you to be driving me into the corner like this."

"I don't pretend like you really don't know."

"Even though there were a few things that bothered me, all I did was for the continent. While you may feel that I have deprived them of their rights, the result of my contribution to the continent does not change. Turn your head and see how far the continent has developed. Let's go over the State first. You must have forgotten the fact that the State used to be called an empire."

"Nothing has changed. It just changed from emperor and empress to Oscar and the Chairman, from nobility to council. The revolution was not a victory for the people. It was for you. Although it has been pleasingly labeled as divine democracy, the current State cannot be seen as a country that aims for democracy. It is just a means of securing power by selling the name of God. More than half of the council is made up of your people, and you hold power over all the media and administrative agencies. It isn't democracy. It's simply a power shift. Rather, to a more vicious leadership."

"Haha, the democratic fighters who participated in the imperial revolution would be very disappointed to hear that. Who was the one who ripped the hierarchy system out of the old State?"