Untitled Part 120

Chapter 570: Mikhail (2)

"May I come in?"

"Yes, come on in. Long time no see, Mikhail-nim. I apologize for not contacting you for so long. I've been quite busy with my work and..."

"No, I should have sought you out first... I'm so sorry."

"Please take a seat."

"Thank you."

"What would you like for tea? There's not a type we are missing, so you can ask for whatever you'd like."

"Anything is fine. Well, since I have the chance to, I'd prefer the one the chairman would recommend."

"Then... Oh, this will be great. It's a tea made from strawberry that grows only in the North. It's sweet, but not to the point that it's too much. You may have tried it already, but... if you really want my recommendation, I'd like to choose this one since I'm into it these days... I'm sure you'll like it."

"I'll thankfully drink whatever you give me."

"It's embarrassing if you thank me too much. So, how is it going? How have you been these days?"

"It's the same every day. It's probably not much different from yours. I wake up in the morning, drink tea or coffee to start my day, and read the newspapers or books when I have free time. Of course, that's the only time to relax because the site's scale is so large... It feels like I'm running a city. Even the number of workers we have exceeds the population of most small cities... It's very impressive to see how quickly the place has become full of life and markets."

"The same goes for other sites, Mikhail-nim. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd sites can even be called big cities at this point. And dare I say that the places where our technicians and workers go to enjoy, eat, and play are better than most places in small towns. I didn't mean to build a city, but I feel great that they seemed to have formed naturally. If workers' wages have been tight, it would have been harder than it is now. Isn't that how the economy works? You make money, spend it, pay taxes, and do other things with that tax."

"Yes, it is just as you say."

"I'm actually ignorant in Economics like I am in many different topics. But I knew that a market would form. Isn't it natural for people to gather where the money is? That's why I've given control to people who I could really trust."

"I see."

"If I had simply wanted a construction manager, I wouldn't have contacted you. This might sound like a discriminatory statement, but I would've just left the management to the Dwarves if that were the case. That's why I had given the responsibility for the sites not to the architects but the administrators."

"Yes, I understand what you're saying."

"I don't want to be just briefed on the progress of the construction. I want to know everything about what's going on there and how much is coming in and out. I want to know even the tiniest details. That's why I called you."

"Is that so...?"

"Because I thought, what if Mikhail-nim misunderstands?"

"..."

"I know what you do and what you can do. If I had doubted your ability, I wouldn't have put you in such an important position. I left it up to you because I thought you would do the work I entrusted to you properly by yourself."

"I have no excuses."

"No, I don't mean to scold or pressure you in any way. You can listen to my words like it's a passing story. I think I got a bit carried away and feel embarrassed about it now. Well, do you have anything else you want to say concerning this?"