Untitled Part 131

Chapter 581: Supreme Sacrifice (1)

"At least, you survived, Raphael."

"Leader..."

"I'm not looking down on you. I'm not blaming you either. Strictly speaking, it's not because of you, it's all because of my personal opinion. I... I am scared. I'm scared, Raphael."

"Leader."

"I'm scared that... no one will remember our true self. I'm scared that... they'll think we're just dirty contractors who sold our souls to a demon. I fear that not one person, not even one, will ever understand us. That's why I want you to live. I want you to survive and watch our end. It will be difficult, but I hope you can take on that role."

"It's not, sir. You don't have to think about it like that. We can't expect all of them to understand, but there must be someone somewhere who does. There will surely be some who will remember and honor what we're doing. There will definitely be people who understand the noble meaning behind the Order's actions."

"No, we will be remembered as evil. Regardless of whether this succeeds or fails, the world will treat us as evil and curse us. That will never change. But Raphael, even one person is fine. If even one person remembers us... yes, I'm sure this meaningless consolation will mean a lot to the Order members."

"But..."

"I hope you can bear witness to our end. I want you to keep it in your heart and mind until the end. I want you to tell our story. We started this simply for vengeance, but still... Still... I hope they remember that some fought for our land and the justice of the continent. Please."

"I will fight with you, sir. The deaths of our comrades... your death... I can't just watch."

"This is my last request. My last request."

"..."

"Leader..."

I had no choice but to quietly watch the fierce battle commence. My sole duty was to keep watching such noble people sacrifice their lives for a cause.

Our starting points were different, and the beginning wasn't good, but in the end, how could I describe the way the Order made its way toward the right goal? Perhaps no expression could represent our actions. No fine word would be able to showcase our feelings.

I felt cursed for being forced to witness the situation helplessly. My hands trembled, and I was sweating coldly.

My emotions were shaken, causing me to bite my lips tightly, but tears continued to pop out of my eyes uncontrollably. I wanted to turn my head every time there was a huge explosion. I didn't have the confidence to look at that fierce battle until the end, but...

It was my responsibility to keep my eyes open and look at everyone's end. It was the last mission I could do as a member of the Order.

"Don't step back! Don't step back! A little bit more... little bit more... if you reach out a little more, you can definitely grasp it. Think of the past days. Keep moving! Let's think about what we're here for!"

'I should have been there too...'

He might seem hot-tempered, but Gavenne was actually more warm-hearted than anyone else.

Luciela joined late but was always the centerpiece as the wizard of the Order.

Jean Valjang from the Republic was branded as a criminal for stealing bread, but actually had to feed her little siblings to survive.

Priest Sirviola quietly supported us from behind.

I could see all of them charge in. They had already gone beyond their limit. Some time had passed since their bodies began collapsing. The output that could be produced was overtaken a long time ago.