Seventy Six

"This is unexpected, you look terrible." You forced yourself to try to find warmth in her words, even a single drop of tenderness for her clearly hurting daughter but the look on her face said there wasn't going to be any.

"I broke up with Jungkook." She'd still not moved out of the way to let you into the house, and at your words some outrage broke out on her features. Maybe she was going to show some concern for you after all.

"Why in the world would you do that?" Her tone implied you were to blame and she was incredulous at your decision, not the support you'd hope a second ago she was gearing up to give you.

"Can I stay here for a while until I figure out my next steps?"

"Are you going to pay me back for the half a billion won you just basically stole from me?"

"Eomma, what are you talking about? I've not taken money from you, I just need a place to stay." Heat rose in your cheeks, icy fingers up your back, you wished she'd just say yes or no and let you in.

"Do you really think he's going to send the money if you aren't still living with him in three months? Don't be ridiculous. Come in, we'll have to discuss it tomorrow, nothing can be done this late at night."

Jungkook was still sending your mother money? It hadn't been a one time deal? Half a billion won was a fortune, how much had he already spent? You felt queasy, you'd left him and he'd depleted major zeroes from his bank account. But did you owe him for something you'd never have allowed him to do if you'd known.

You followed her into the living room where your stepfather was sitting on the couch with wine. He looked up with a grin on his face that made you see red like what filled his long stemmed glass.

"I wondered when you'd turn up, quite a bit of drama you seemed to have gotten wrapped up in." You weren't sure why you'd not thought he'd already know but him baiting you with something so upsetting was not surprising seeing what he'd already done to you.

"I'd prefer to not have to lock up our alcohol, but if you think you're going to drink yourself silly to escape everything then maybe I should." Your mother showed the first very brief signs of interest in your health, her eyes assessing you as if she could see if you were on the verge of a bender.

"I don't drink. I just want to go to bed." You turned toward the hallway and realized how easy it would be to drown these feelings in vodka. Hadn't it always worked before?

"We'll discuss tomorrow how you'll pay back the money." She settled onto the couch next to her husband and dismissed you with a nod.

~

Jungkook was still laying in the guest bedroom when Jin showed up the next morning. He'd let his phone die, the endless messages from people worried about him was oppressive, a pillow over his face. He knew he had practice at six but he'd not made any attempt to even pretend that he was going to attend. He wasn't sure if he would go to blocking at one, or his final costume fittings at five. Laying in this bed that still faintly smelled of her was that only thing holding him together and pretty soon he wouldn't even have that.

"How did you get in?" Jungkook didn't even lift his head from the mattress to speak, he'd known someone would show up eventually.

"Hyun let me in." Jin went to sit down on the bed and it snapped Jungkook into action.

"Don't!" He waved his hands and Jin stopped. His hyung sitting here would ruin everything, and he knew he only had probably another day before her scent left the sheets entirely, his own masking it.

"She left?"

"That's a dumb fucking question, do you see her here?" Jungkook turned his head to look at the opposite wall, even though he'd chosen BTS he didn't want to see them, he hated them.