Chapter 15

At BPD:In BRIC

Frost: There are shots to the audience, but it's mostly the girls dancing.I found the coach in the audience at the time of the murder, and some of the mothers, but not all of them.

Lindsay:What about the dad -- Skip?

Frost: Not here.

Lindsay: Skip is an odd name for a grown man, you know?

Frost: I got a friend that goes by "Swampy."

Lindsay: Worse.

(They Chuckle)

Frost: Skip and Denise owned a general-contracting company. But business wasn't too good. Tax liens,
subcontractors that haven't been paid.

Lindsay: What about his phone records?

Frost: Nothing out of the ordinary.
Hold -- let me check the GPS on Skip's phone.

Lindsay: Yeah, didn't he say he was at a meeting in Revere at the time of the murder?

(Keys clacking)

Frost: But that's not what his phone says.

Lindsay: He was right next to that auditorium when his wife was killed.

Interrogation Room with Skip

Lindsay: You lied to us, Skip. You were in the area when your wife was being stabbed to death.

She lays down the picture of Denise.

Skip: Don't make me look at her like that.

Lindsay: Why not? That's what she looked like right after you killed her.

Skip: I would never hurt her. All right? She was the best wife, the most loving mother.

Lindsay: So, if you didn't kill her, why did you tell us you were in Revere at a business meeting?

Skip: I was next door at the hotel bar.
Drinking.

Frost: Because your business is in the toilet?

Skip: Yeah.

Lindsay: Right, so, you get lit up, - you get in a fight with your wife-

Skip: No.

Lindsay: Stabbed her with a pair of scissors.

Skip: No, I was at that bar until Coach JJ called and told me what happened.

Lindsay: This is too easy to check, Skip.
If all you were doing is having a few beers, why lie?

Skip: 'Cause I'm not her real dad.
But she loves me like I am, and I-I don't want her to know I-I messed up.

Frost: Is her biological father in the picture?

Skip: No, he died when Dakota was little. I-I-I met Denise when Dakota was 3, fell in love with them both. Been sober since. I don't want her to ever know about the drinking.

Lindsay: Well, let's hope that's the worst thing there is to know.

They walk out and goes down to the morgue.

Maura: Hey.
Lindsay: Hey.

Maura: How's Jane?

Lindsay: (Groans) Spinning.

Maura: Juvenile delinquents grew up in broken homes.

Lindsay: What a fun fact. You should tell Jane that next time you see her.
Poor sis.

Maura: Any update on officer Kincaid?

Lindsay: He's out of surgery, but it doesn't look good. He's a month away from retirement, Maura. The whole department is just so sad that it happened to an old-timer.

Maura: And how is Jane taking it?

Lindsay: Feels totally responsible.

Maura: She shouldn't. Clinical studies indicate that good parents can raise bad children. Hmm.

Lindsay: Hmm. She was a natural blonde.

Maura: Not many blondes go brunette. Well, except for Keira Knightley and Drew Barrymore.

Lindsay: Have we been reading the supermarket tabloids again?

Maura: Just s-scanning the headlines. Oh, please don't repeat that.

Lindsay: Uh, no. I'm a vault.

Maura: Serious foot deformities. Look.

Lindsay: Oh, man! Those are ugly-ass feet. What, was she binding them?!

Maura: Wh-- it's from en pointe work, which is a -- on point.

Lindsay: I know. I know. Four years of forced ballet class, thanks to my mother.

Maura: You did? Russian?

Lindsay: Well, if the teacher is a mean, old lady who swats you in the legs with a cane if they're not straight enough, yeah.

Maura: Wait. You studied with Svetlana Alexandrov?

Lindsay: Pretty sure her name was Mrs.
Peabody. So, what, she started point early?

Maura: Uh, y-yes, before her bones ossified sufficiently.

Lindsay: So the mother was a serious dancer, just like her daughter, Dakota.

Maura: Well, Russian en pointe is very different than contemporary -- a combination of ballet, jazz, hip-hop.

Lindsay: "Yes," "no." "Yes," "no." Practice with me." Yes." "No."

Maura: Yes. Serious dancer.

Lindsay: Hmm! Well, she's pretty.

Maura: Well, in an artificial sort of way. That's because she's had extensive plastic surgery. Breast augmentation, rhinoplasty Facial implants -- cheek and chin.

Lindsay: Well, come -- that's just vain.
Let's not judge. (Cellphone vibrates) It's Frost. Kincaid is back in surgery.
Okay. I got to go upstairs. He says he has something.

Maura: Yep.

Lindsay: I'll have Jane call you later.

Maura: All right.