Chapter 70

Next Morning

They walk into the bullpen.

Frost: How's she doing? She's okay.

Jane: She'd be a lot better if we could find something in Cal's Granada. Any news on the car?

Frost: CSRU took apart the doors, the engine, the dashboard. Nothing so far.

Maura: Where else would Cal hide that file?

Jane: Maybe we don't have to find the file. If Cal set the fire, Paddy would've paid him to do it.

Frost: Which means Paddy would have kept a record of it in his little book.

Jane: Yeah. Here. Here, everybody take a section.

Frost: Paddy wrote everything in code.
"Big head rent lo broad"?

Korsak: "Big head" meant Michael Wynne. "Rent" meant shaking down store owners on "lo broad," which is the lower end of West Broadway.

Maura: How do I explain my presence if Chief Cavanaugh comes in?

Jane: Tell him you have menstrual cramps.

Maura: That doesn't make any sense.

Korsak: Oh, yes, it does. He won't ask any questions once he hears those words.

Cavanaugh walks in.

Cavanaugh: Shirley Ghetts just called. Someone want to tell me why we have Cal's car in the evidence garage?

Frost: Oh, boy.

Cavanaugh: See you in your office, Vince?

R&I

Frost: He's been in there a long time.

Jane: Just try not to think about it.

Frost: We got to find a connection between Paddy and Cal.

Korsak walks in.

Jane: What'd he say?

Korsak: He said it's too bad Cal's dead.
He'd like to wrap his hands around his throat. Frost, what are you doing?

Frost: Trying to break Paddy's codes. He's got these charts starting in 1992.

Korsak: Show me where that is.

Frost: It's right here in Paddy's book.

Korsak: Oh, my god.

Jane: Whoa, what's wrong?

Korsak: How could we not know? Paddy and Oso that's it.

Frost: Who's Oso?

Korsak: Oso Garcia he was a Colombian drug dealer that Cavanaugh shut down in '92.

Frost: When Paddy was Cavanaugh's C.I.?

Korsak: Yeah.

Jane: '92? That doesn't make any sense.

Frost: Yeah, why would Paddy buy cocaine from Oso, then turn around and help Cavanaugh bust him?

Jane: Oh, my god.

Frost: What is it?

Jane: It was a setup from the beginning to the end. All Paddy wanted was cheaper cocaine, and he fed Cavanaugh information knowing that it would chase the Colombians out of Southie.

Korsak: Paddy ran Southie. Eventually, the Colombians would have to go to him for help.

Jane: They didn't know Paddy was the informant.

Frost: I'm not following this.

Jane: Paddy helped the drug unit bring heat onto Oso from August of '92 to March of '93.

Frost: Oh, so all these zeroes mean Paddy couldn't buy cocaine.

Korsak: Because Cavanaugh was putting pressure on the Colombians.

Jane: Right, but in April of '93, Paddy started buying cocaine again but for half the price.

Frost: So what changed in March of '93?

Maura: His family died. Linda and Christopher Cavanaugh died in the fire at the end of March.

Korsak: My guess is, Paddy's plan was to kill Cavanaugh, but it worked out the same when Cal set that fire, - only his wife and son died instead.

Jane: 'Cause Cavanaugh fell apart. He never ran another drug case. Does Cavanaugh still have a copy of Paddy's book?

Frost: I just saw him leave.

Korsak: Oh, my god. We got to find him.

Jane: He's gonna kill Paddy.