Chapter 77

With Melanie

Melanie: I didn't call anybody.

Jane: You used the payphone of the block.

Lindsay: That's not too bright.

Melanie: I didn't.

Jane: What happened to Beth, Melanie? What did you do to her?

Melanie: Nothing.

Jane: That's crazy! Tell me why we shouldn't believe that you killed Beth and Ethan and stashed the baby somewhere. These weren't for sick babies. They were for Beth and Ethan's baby. But you panicked, and you dumped her.

Melanie: You got it all wrong. That's not -

Jane: You're under arrest.

Melanie: That's not why I took the baby there. I-I don't know what happened.
She was scared. She asked me for my help. She said it was best for the baby.

Jane: She?

Jane looks toward the bedroom and opens the door.

Beth: No!

Jane: Beth!

Beth: Get back! Get out.

Jane: Just calm down, all right? Nobody has to get hurt today.

Beth: Out! Out of the room!

Jane: All right. All right. Now just calm down.

Lindsay walks out.

Beth: You too. Get out!

Jane: It's okay. I got it.

Beth: I said get out. Drop your gun.

Jane: A lot of people have been looking for you.

Beth: Shut up. Drop it. God. Don't make me shoot you.

Jane: OK. Just calm down, all right? Look. See? Is that your husband's gun? Is that the one you shot him with?

Beth: I was just trying to scare him.
The gun went off.

Jane: You were mad at him.

Beth: He said that he would sign the papers. He promised me. But-Then he wouldn't do it.

Jane: Then your water broke. You knew the baby was coming, and you didn't know what to do.

Beth: I just-I just. I just wanted to be free. Go! Somewhere, you know? Like, start all over again without-without Ethan or Dale or the baby or anybody.

Jane: Why not just give Ethan the baby and go?

Beth: Why give him anything? He was breaking up with me, and I needed the money so I could start fresh.

Jane: So the gun went off, and you panicked.

Beth: And I couldn't go anywhere. I didn't go to the hospital. They'd find me.

Jane: And you delivered that baby all by yourself?

Beth: I was so scared. Then the baby started crying. And I had to get her to the hospital. I knew Melanie would help. She's my only friend.

They hear sirens.

Beth: Are they coming here?

Jane: My partner probably called them.
Beth, why don't you just give me the gun?

Beth: No. No. I'm leaving.

Jane: Beth -

Beth: I'll shoot you.

Jane: Do you want to know how your daughter is? Doctors say she's doing fine. Beth, you could've dropped that baby into the ocean. It would have been safer for you. But you didn't. You took her to the hospital. You did a great job of bringing your baby into this world.

She walks up to her and takes the gun away.

Lindsay walks in.

Lindsay: You okay?

Jane: I'm fine. World at large, I'm not so sure about.