Chapter 81

At the Scene

They walk in and see a man bound and posed in a chair with his ankles and wrists taped together. They find out Gail is missing. There is a teacup on the floor. They find semen on the couch.

Jane: So he raped the wife and made the husband watch.

They collect everything they need and go go back to BPD.

At BPD

They go over the body and test the semen. No hits. Jane and Korsak go over the photos and everything. She gets a gut feeling about the fact that the house next door to the crime scene is also vacant. She says something.

Jane: Hey, Korsak, did anybody wonder about the house next door? It's vacant too and no one would think about the house next door.

Korsak: Yeah, but there were no footprints, no blood, or anything on the ground. It can't be.

Jane: "Fine. I'll go by myself." I get up, put on my jacket and leave.

I go and search the house. Nothing. I go outside and and start toward the back. I hear a scream. I run to the cellar and walk in. I see Gail on the mattress and I say her name. Then, I get hit on the back of the head.

Meanwhile, it's been six hours since Korsak saw Jane. He calls Maura. She hasn't seen or heard from her either.
Korsak leaves and goes to the house next door. He looks. Nothing. He goes around back and sees the cellar. He opens it. He walks down the steps and shoots Hoyt in the chest, killing him.

Jane's POV

I wake up and he's kneeling over me, holding me down. He takes two scalpels and pins my hands down to the floor. One in each hand. I start shaking. Then, all of a sudden I hear a gun shot. Hoyt falls to the floor. In two seconds, Korsak is by me. I'm saying, "It hurts" over and over. He says, "I'm not gonna move you." He calls an ambulance and Maura. He checks on Hoyt and unties Gail. Hoyt's dead. The ambulance shows up and takes Gail and I to the hospital. Maura meets us there.