Chapter 62

With IA

Tucker: So your sister forged the name on the policy.

Amanda: She has impulse control issues. She thought she was helping me out.

Tucker: Can I keep this?

Amanda: Yes. It's no good anyway.

Tucker: Oh, we'll be in touch with Atlanta Fidelity to verify that.

Amanda: Well, that's why I'm here without a lawyer. I just want to get the truth out here.

Tucker: I appreciate that.

Amanda: My sister will confirm that she was attacked two days ago, and she warned me that Jeff had a gun. It was a good shooting.

Tucker: So she'll change her story again?

Amanda: Look, I came in right away as soon as I found out about the policy. I've got nothing to hide here.

Tucker: Good. I've gone over your jacket, Detective. I understand you had a gambling problem?

Amanda: I was forthcoming about that with my captain. I took a command discipline and ten vacation days. I've been in Gambler's Anonymous ever since.

Tucker: You were forthcoming after the man you owed the money to, Connor Murphy, spoke to the DA about you?

Amanda: Yes.

Tucker: At that time, you owed Mr.
Murphy and his associate, Jimmy McCourt, $20,000? Approximately--yeah.

Amanda: Yes, that is correct.

Tucker: Did you pay that debt?

Amanda: Well, McCourt and Murphy are both in Attica.

Tucker: So you still owe them the money? You have gambling issues, outstanding debt, and you're trying to tell me that you had no idea the man you shot had a policy that named you as a beneficiary?

Amanda: I came to you, Lieutenant Tucker.

Tucker: You mean, after your sister did.

Walking to the Bullpen

Amanda: I've left five messages for Mr. Graber. When will he be back? Yeah, it is urgent. So have him call me as soon as possible, please.

Fin: This is still about IAB? Amanda, don't fool with them. Get a lawyer.

Amanda: I haven't done anything wrong, and if I get a lawyer, they're just gonna hang Kim out to dry. (sighs) I'm her big sister. You know, we didn't have parents that really, um, took care of us, so if something went wrong, I was the one who fixed it.

Fin: And she never had to grow up, 'cause you were always there. You want to tell me what's going on?

Amanda: (Sighs) I'm not sure.

With Tucker

Tucker: Hey.

Kim: Hey.

Tucker: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Kim: Oh, that's okay.

Tucker: Let's talk about that life insurance policy. Whose idea was that?

Kim: I just want you to know that I love my sister, and I don't want to say anything that's gonna hurt her.

Tucker: I understand.

Kim: I'm just a little unsure of what to do here.

Tucker: Just tell the truth. Can you do that?