Chapter 17

At BPD

Yvonne: I'm not gonna lie. Denise was poison. And her kid was mean, too.
You know, Dakota dropped Summer in a lift at the Sparkles competition.

Lindsay: And you think it was deliberate?

Yvonne: Hell, yes. Was it deliberate when Tonya Harding tried to take out Nancy Kerrigan? I think so. That cost Summer an elite spot.

Lindsay: Where were you yesterday at 3:00 P. M.?

Yvonne: Uh, well, I wasn't in the dressing room, stabbing Denise, if that's what you're asking. I was in the audience.

Frost: We checked the video. Didn't see you.

Yvonne: I bought a pass to tape Summer from the video platform. I get sick of seeing the other kids in the group's numbers, so the competition runs a recording from the platform. Parents pay the 30 bucks.

Watching the Video in BRIC

(Cheers and applause)

Frost: That's Yvonne. Right there.

Lindsay: So she was telling the truth.

An officer comes by with a charity bin for Officer Kincaid. Jane tries to put money in it but the officer walks away.

Jane: Oh, hey. Oh, come on, man.

Frost: Damn, that's cold.

Lindsay: Jane, don't worry about it.

Jane: I haven't even seen Matthew in years. But I don't blame them for looking at me like it's my fault.

Telephone rings and she walks out.

Lindsay: I wish there was something we could do for Jane.

Frost: Yeah, me too. There was a time when I could have gone either way, when my dad wasn't around. I just think that Matthew should know that Jane wanted him.

Lindsay: I know. Come on. Let's go shake up dance mom Kim. Where was she when Denise was bleeding out?

Interrogation Room with Kim

Kim: Yeah. I keyed Denise's car. Only on the passenger door. Look, I'm pretty sure that Dakota took one of Mackenzie's jazz shoes.

Lindsay: I'm surprised you didn't go after the driver's door, too.

Kim: That's not why I lost my temper.

Frost: We're listening.

Kim: Denise lied about Dakota's age. I'm sure of it. I'm the team mom, so I'm in charge of the girls' registration materials. Denise never gave me the original birth certificate for Dakota.

Lindsay: So, you think Denise doctored this so Dakota could compete against younger girls?

Kim: Yeah. I sure do. Look, if you want to win at all costs, you'll do anything.
Keep that. That's what you should be investigating.

Lindsay: We have video footage of the audience. You're not in it.

Kim: Oh, I was buying dance videos for the team. (she hands them a receipt) It's time-stamped.

Lindsay: Wow. You -- you came with your own case file.

Kim: Well, I didn't think you asked me to come here for coffee.

Frost: Did you kill Denise Ryan?

Kim: No. I didn't like her. But I didn't kill her.