Chapter 44

In Boston Common

Maura: He was actually my half brother.

Jane: You know this from the DNA?

Maura: Yeah, we shared the same father, but not the same mother. It's so odd. You know, I have a blood relative.

Jane: I'm so sorry, baby.

Maura: I'm fidgeting. I'm fidgeting. I-I-I never fidget.

Jane: Yes. Welcome to the human race.

They both chuckle.

Maura: I always wondered what it would be like to have a sibling. You know, more than what it would be like to meet my biological parents.

Jane: That seems normal.

Maura: I don't know anything about him. I don't know his name. I...All I know is that he was a thief.

Jane: And a-a-a brilliant artist.

Maura: Well, it's not enough. I...How did he end up on my table? You know, why did he do what he did? What if I never know?

Jane: What do you know about your biological parents?

Maura: Nothing. My parents told me that my-my adoption was private...uh, with their lawyer. All they knew was my birthday.

Jane: Are you gonna tell them about this?

Maura: No. No, I-I-I didn't even tell them when I-I tried to find my biological mother and father before I started college.

Jane: What'd you find out?

Maura: All the files were useless or sealed by a court order. I may have wanted to know them, but..they didn't want to know me.

Jane: Okay. What can I do?

Maura: Well, for one, you can give me a kiss. Two, I need to know who did this to him.

Jane gives her a kiss.