Prologue

Saturday Morning at the Boston Marathon

Jane and Olivia are lining up at the start line with Maura, Lindsay, Jill and Cindy talking about anything. Jane's mom and dad Angela & Frank along with Claire are watching from the sidelines and Frankie is a security guard.

Olivia: So, Jane, how did you manage to work for both units?

Jane: When I was a beat cop, I arrested a lot of guys who had raped and then killed their girlfriend. They would go someplace and do something and I would get called. I made so many arrests, that both lieutenants wanted me. So, now I work for both homicide and SVU.

Olivia: That makes sense. Do you like working for both?

Jane: It's a challenge because I have cases for both, but a lot of our homicide cases are also in some way sexual assault cases, too. So yeah I love working for both, I mean, I wish people wouldn't get hurt at all, but they do and I love helping solve the cases to bring the family justice.

Olivia: (whispers) That's how I feel, too. Now, I wanna talk about you being in love with a certain honey-blonde medical examiner, that you're too stubborn to make known.

Jane: Shh. She's right next to you. Also, there's nothing to talk about, Benson. Yeah, I'm madly in love with her. Everything about her, I love. But, she'd never go out with me. She's rich, I'm not. I'm just a Blue-Collar Boston Italian Detective. I'm way out of her league. Her parents probably want her to marry someone nice that has loads and loads of cash, anyway. I could care less that she's rich. That's not why I love her. Money doesn't matter to me. But, I don't have a chance and I never will. Besides, she's been dating this rich woman named Arizona for three months. She would never go for someone like me. I mean, my parents don't even know I'm gay. I'm catholic. It's a sin. Just drop it please.

Olivia: Okay. I'm sorry if I made you feel bad or uncomfortable.

Jane: (sighs) It's okay. You didn't mean to. I just don't like talking about my love life, since I don't have one. No one wants to date a cop. I'm gonna be single for the rest of my life.

The starter pistol fires and they all start running. They run for a few minutes and see a guy face down on the ground. They all stop and help. Maura examines him and he's not breathing. She gives him CPR and blood comes out of his mouth. Jane notices a gun shot wound and shows Maura. They figure out the shooter is running in the race.